Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 
carlos puron

55 gallon with tetras an a betta could that be possible?

Hey y'all well I have my 55 gallon with 3 different schools of tetras black skirt black phantom and blood fin two Dalmatian mollies that I rescued 3 otos and two yoyo loaches I've read on different places that you can keep bettas with tetras with no problems as long as you have at least six of each kind of tetras but I want to know by your experience can this happen cause I really love bettas for their fins i actually have two on their own 5 gallon each one it is a shame that we cannot have more than one male in the same tank I want to add one to my 55 gal or start a female sorority if possible but before adopting I want to make sure there's the possibility that they can live together I may buy a 3 gallon or something in case that it doesn't go as I expected i posted a pic of my thank i still want to add some more plants before i start looking for male or females But for your own experience what do you guys recommend

Thanks for reading
Attached Images

carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

im not sure, it depends on the bettas personality and how agressive he is. My betta is quite nippy at times, but for the most part has gotten used to my cories. Im getting some tetras later this week for my 10 gallon so i will see how they do together.

As for your tank, like i said, it just depends on the betta. Maybe in that big of a tank the fish can space out more and not have problems. Just keep hold of the receipt if you need to take them back.

Good luck
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #3 
Namialus

I think you'd be safer with some females if you're worried.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

I have a 55 gallon tank also, and I have 9 neon tetras, 7 female bettas, 6 zebra danios, and 5 julii cories. They all get along well, and I've never seen any nipping going on between the bettas and tetras.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

When I had a sorority a few months ago I had the females with cories and mystery snails. Not one girl nipped anyone; not even each other. They just gave a little chase every now and then. And now, I have a male and the same cories, two female guppies, and 3 snails. My male nips the guppies, probably because they annoy him. lol He doesn't nip the cories and snails; however.

It all depends on the betta. (:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 
carlos puron

Well i'll see once I put him in the tank to acclimate if I notice that he spawns at the other fish I would not do it cause once I get a bag with fish all my fish are curious to see who's coming so that would be a good chance to see how can the betta react if he doesn't go in I would keep him in the small tank until I can rehome him I don't have space for all those tanks I have 3 already and I think it would be cruel to take him back to the pet store
Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #7 
carlos puron

Is there any way to recognize if he's aggressive before taking him home ? Or the only way is on yhe tank?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #8 
carlos puron

I just got home with this little guy I haven't named him but he's not spawning at the other fish I have to go for a couple of hours cause ibteach guitar today but today is the betta arrival day at petsmart so I guess I'll ad him once I'm back to see his reaction with my tetras
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #9 
carlos puron

I forgot tp add the pics sorry
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #10 
txbettaowner

I suggest adding female bettas not males. Males bettas and tetras don't mix well.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote