Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Just be careful that the ich isn't just going through its life-cycle rather than being killed off completely. As you probably know, it can only be killed when it is off the fish, not when it is protected in the white cyst you see on the fish.

I have a very resistant strain of ich in my tanks and even though my tank has been at 86 degrees for well over two weeks now it has had no affect on the parasites. Apparently some strains can survive temperatures of 90 degrees now.

Sometimes people think they have cured it, but then it crops up later down the track because the parasite wasn't killed off completely. I have found mild infections usually only show up on the pectorals and other fins of the fish so make sure you check these areas carefully to ensure the ich isn't still present in your tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #22 
10asartin

Right, it is just like many diseases in all animals and people. Just because you no longer see it, doesn't mean that it is gone for good. A lot of people assume that once they no longer see something they can quit treatment, but that just isn't so. Hopefully the strain in my tank isn't one of the tough ones.

Thanks for your contribution!
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

No worries. Having dealt with it just repeatedly coming back in one of my grow-outs over the past month or so, I know how frustrating it can be so just wanted to make certain you were aware of how tricky this parasite can be.

As an aside, your females look happy. With those plants I think your tank will be a jungle in no time.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #24 
10asartin

Okay, so I ran over to Petco JUST to get some things for my dog and walked out with....

TADA!

I have a feeling she's going to be a wild color when she gets bigger, I really hope so at least. For now she is going into a 1.5 gallon QT tank for 2 weeks and then will float in a breeder box for a few days in the main tank so that the girls can become accustom to her.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So cute!!!!!! Ugh, so beautiful! I hope she marbles out but keeps the cello fins and looks like she's got some red/orange on the anal along with the green! Or is that cello there and is the background color?

Have you got a name for her? I keep thinking Ravenclaw's ghost the Grey Lady but I think Rowena would be a really cute name for her. Another that pops up is Myrtle XD lol but I think she deserves a prettier name
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #26 
10asartin

Yes, she does have some red in her anal fin. I'm really excited to see how it develops. Her colors remind me of an artist covered in paint splatters, so I'll probably try to come up with an artist's name for her depending on how her personality is in the sorority.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Most artists are males unfortunately but one of my girls is named after a male artist; Matisse and I just call her Maddie most of the time but the artists I think of that do splatter would be Pollock and Kandinsky, both do beautiful abstract drawings! But hard I think to get a female Betta name from that lol
Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #28 
10asartin

There are many, many female artists, but they just aren't as well-known as their male colleagues. Georgia O'keefe, Frida Kahlo, Mary Cassatt, and Elaine de Kooning are some of my favorites.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #29 
10asartin

However, I am certainly not against using a male artist's name if it fits her well :)
Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sorry, I didn't word that right. I meant to say that the more popular ones are mostly males lol, I know there are plenty of female artists, I'm one of them! haha one of my favorites is Janet Fish....funny enough XD