Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #41 
10asartin

Oh, okay. The bottle said to only dose 3-4 days after you see the last white spots.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #42 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, well if you feel comfortable with that then you can go for it. I believe the week extra is more of a precautionary measure, especially if you're just using heat.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #43 
10asartin

I will certainly continue the treatment for a whole week, I trust your judgement on this. After all it is herbal and won't hurt to continue for 1 week.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that's why I like the Kordon products, they're quite good at what they do ^_^ And in this way you can start lowering the temp, do a water change if you need to and continue for the week since the last white dot. Since that was 2 day's ago I think you said, 5 day's left ^_^
Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #45 
10asartin

Something that I have found to be kind of odd with this tank is that it has been running for about 1 month and I have yet to get more than a 0 reading for ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. When I first set up the filter I placed a piece of filter sponge from my established tank inside. It was about the size of a playing card and I didn't really expect it to do much, but is it possible that the sponge provided enough BB to establish a cycle in the new tank so quickly?
I use the API master kit and I tested on my new girl's QT tank just before a water change to make sure my testing equipment is good and the ammonia reading came out at 0.25ppm. This tells me my tests are indeed accurate, it is just hard to believe.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #46 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Plants, live plants act as a buffer against those levels so when you have enough live plants to handle the bio-load, you'll never get a reading. And yes that little piece could have enough to help kick start it with the addition of the plants ^_^ That is what's called the Silent Cycle and I definitely try to promote that as much as I can because it's so simple and it's the least stressful way to cycle for both you and your fish (well can be stressful for your wallet but at least you don't have to do a gajillion water changes)

^_^
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #47 
10asartin

Wow, I had heard of the Silent Cycle, but never really grasped the concept because I didn't do too much research on it. WOOHOO for plants!!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #48 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

YES!! I LOVE the Silent Cycle!! Seriously my favorite thing, as I said, might be stressful on the wallet but totally worth it in the end! But yeah, I really want more people to know about the Silent Cycle, it seems that no one really knows! So I try to advocate it wherever I go ^_^

So yes, congratulations on your completely cycled tank! lol