Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #1 
Saber

Did I buy a fake moss ball?

So I've been wanting to get a marimo moss ball for my new betta's tank, and yesterday while I was picking up a heater and some plants for him at Petco, I asked an employee for a moss ball. He got one out and put it in a bag for me and everything, and I paid and left. I didn't really take a good look at it until I got it home and put it in his tank, and I can't help but think it doesn't look like the photos of marimo moss balls I've seen online. A few members of this forum have mentioned that some places will wrap moss around a styrofoam ball and pass it off as a marimo moss ball. Did I get ripped off?

There is fishing line coiled around it which used to be attached to a metal weight. I cut it off because I don't want anything metal in his tank.

Last edited by Saber; 07-17-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #2 
shannonpwns

I'd try peeling it to see if your suspicions are right. And if so, take it back and get your money back. In their section with live plants that are prepackaged, that's where I've seen moss balls in large pet store chains.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

it looks like a ball wrapped with java moss....
java moss is a nice plant, but being sold as a marimo, it was probably overpriced.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #4 
Saber

Just peeled it open a bit, and indeed there is a styrofoam ball inside. Pretty dishonest of you, Petco!

Do you really think this is Java moss? I'd very much like to get my money back and have a word with them, but I did kind of want Java Moss...Can it live in ball-form or should I try to take it apart and..Put it on the bottom?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #5 
shannonpwns

Could you expect anything less from petco? Lol

I'd return it and just buy some java moss at the proper price, and perhaps they have some real marimo to replace that ball with.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #6 
LizbethDawn

That's lame. Petsmart sells what I'm pretty sure is the real moss balls in cups next to the bettas.
I would go back and return it and make sure to speak to a manager. Let them know you were very disappointed with the dishonesty and you could even throw in that you'll no longer buy plants from them but being going to petsmart instead.
Mentioning you're going to start using a competitor instead of them usually gets places like that to take some sort of action.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #7 
Saber

Thank you everyone. I am going to go to Petsmart from now on for everything (except maybe bettas, as Petco seems to have a larger selection.) Petsmart is not only closer to me, but they have better sales. Tomorrow I'm going to go out and return this moss ball and do just what you said, Lizbeth. There's no excuse for that.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #8 
LizbethDawn

Yea. Here the ones at petsmart seem to be nicer and I could almost walk there lol. I only got to petco for the $1 per gallon sale and if I'm on that side of town and it's an emergency.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #9 
BittyB

I dont think they're trying to be dishonest but are confused as hell and have someone working that don't know better.

My Petco is actually rather fishcentric and they carry 3 types of "moss balls", I was just there this morning looking at plants.

The floating ones attached to a weight, submerged ones, and marimo moss ball. The two first ones are like $4. The marimo is $8 or 9.

You can tell which is which by the density of it. Theres not individual fronds but more like fur. In your pic the fronds are obvious. Their return policy is good though so go back and see if they have the right kind. I find theirs are much bigger than any of the LFS in my area offer.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #10 
peachii

If you paid more than 1 or 2.00 for it - i would take it back. You vastly overpaid if they changed you 4 to 8.00 for it. I'd let them know it was dishonest and not what you asked for at all.

That's just wrong!
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote