Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #1 
BittyB

Making a planted floating log ?

So I've seen a few members making nifty plastic mesh floating tubes/logs for their betta and was wondering if there is a way I can plant on it completely and with what? I just want it to look better than a plastic there... I'm really picky with aesthetics.

I was thinking covering it in all moss, but will that live? I can rotate it so all can get water daily, but will the top emerged part die off? Or any other ideas for plants that can live in such conditions?

If not, I guess I can try to find tiny silk leaves I can glue onto them to give that effect.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, moss can be picky and does best on driftwood I've always found.

If you can find it, I know the dollarstores tend to carry fake grass and plants, some which look pretty realistic. I can get a pic of what I have for you if you like. I love it! Metal free, easy to work with, and doesn't look too bad.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

There's two smushed in there lol. The one you see right away is more of a compact plant, usually used in reptile enclosures. I used it to breed livebearers as an upside down floating plant, giving the babies somewhere to hide. Works well. This time I used it on the driftwood. The plant behind it, is more grassy, and I do like it better than the larger piece I have, and is also used for reptiles.

If you are unable to find it (If you have walmart, craft section... dollarstore, craft section... pet store, reptile section ($$)), I'm sure I could for you and send you pieces. They usually come in a 1ftx1ft square or smaller/bigger.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote