Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #1 
LizbethDawn

Can I grow plants in my tank with these lights?

We don't have a hood on my 50 gallon my dad is going to cut a couple pieces of plexiglass to fit but my lighting for that tank is this

It's three LED "mini floods" according to my Dad. They look just like the old mini floods we had in there but once we got the tank up there and we started leaving the light on during the day he switched to these to save on the power bill.
So can we grow plants with those? If so what kinds? If not what bulbs could I put in there so we can grow plants?
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #2 
shannonpwns

I don't think plants would benefit from those LEDs. You can put a "daylight" 6500k CFL bulb in though.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #3 
LizbethDawn

I think that's what I have in my vanity lights. I'll have to find the box maybe I can just switch two out.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #4 
shannonpwns

Is it an open top tank? I'm not quite sure if the distance between the plants and lights makes any different at all. But it's best to have no glass or plastic barrier between the lights and plants.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #5 
LizbethDawn

Uhm it's probably a good three feet. I wanted to get covers because we are evaporating about 10 gallons of water per week right now.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #6 
VJM

I think those lights are too far from the substrate to work, besides being the wrong kind. PAR levels decrease with distance from the light source.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #7 
peachii

Maybe you could do some kind metal fixture, suspended by wire from the ceiling, to get the lights closer to the top of the tank. Have the lights drop down to be 6 to 8 inches from the top of the tank - suspended right above . It looks just as nice like this and with the 6500 or higher CFL bulbs, your plants might be ok.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #8 
VJM

Or just a couple clamp lights from Home Depot with CFLs.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #9 
FirstBetta

I have to differ w/ Shannon. I have 2XT5HO lights about 3 inches from the top of my tank w/ a glass canopy to stop jumpers and reduce evap. There is nothing wrong with the glass or plexiglass (Lexan) on top of a tank as long as it is kept clean. It just requires a wipe down at each WC.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #10 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
I have to differ w/ Shannon. I have 2XT5HO lights about 3 inches from the top of my tank w/ a glass canopy to stop jumpers and reduce evap. There is nothing wrong with the glass or plexiglass (Lexan) on top of a tank as long as it is kept clean. It just requires a wipe down at each WC.
Glass is not a bad thing. Yes there is some energy lost to the glass 10 to 20% depending on thickness and type of glass. By far the biggest lose is the build up that takes place on the glass.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote