Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #1 
EdgyWolf

Question Progressive color change...

So I know betta fish have the ability to change their colors and let you know when they're cold or content due to their colors but I read recently that when a betta fish progressively loses it's colors and becomes brownish or overall darker than what it used to be, it's because he's getting old. Is this true or false? I have also read that you can tell when they are getting older because they'll look like they have a hunched back or a curved spine. What do you guys think?
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not always true, as a Betta get's older they may loose how bright he used to be but he won't just go completely brown or anything. And the hunched back is definitely not true although I'm sure for some it is. But it's not a clear indicator of old age because if you look on AquaBid, 3.5 month old fish can have just as much of a curved spine as other older Betta's have. Here's a good article on aging Betta's: http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #3 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Not always true, as a Betta get's older they may loose how bright he used to be but he won't just go completely brown or anything. And the hunched back is definitely not true although I'm sure for some it is. But it's not a clear indicator of old age because if you look on AquaBid, 3.5 month old fish can have just as much of a curved spine as other older Betta's have. Here's a good article on aging Betta's: http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/
Sorry, I should have been clearer on the coloring. I meant to say that they'll still maintain their color but they'll gain some brown or darkness to them. Not sure if I'm making anymore sense but yeah. Just curious as to how you tell if a betta is getting old or not. And I've always been curious as to how old the Petco/Petsmart betta fish are. I know when I got Buckshot he was pretty much full grown. Some people say that the pet store fish are usually the ones that werent wanted for breeding so they're either a good 6 months to a year old already.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah usually around 6 months is a good way to calculate. I know my boy in my avatar was only about 4 months when I got him because he wasn't very big and his fins still had lots of growing to do.

As far as adding brown or dark colors, that would be them brightening I believe you mean? if not and literally changing to brown or dark colors then that's more like marbling and not due to age or anything.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #5 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Yeah usually around 6 months is a good way to calculate. I know my boy in my avatar was only about 4 months when I got him because he wasn't very big and his fins still had lots of growing to do.

As far as adding brown or dark colors, that would be them brightening I believe you mean? if not and literally changing to brown or dark colors then that's more like marbling and not due to age or anything.
Well to put it into perspective, Buckshot used to have a nice thick blue streak on his back. It has now, from when I got him to now, has almost become nonexistent. He's gotten much darker (like a blackish navy blue) and sometimes instead of the dark blackish blue he'll be a tint of red. He's a weirdly colored guy.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Can I see pics to compare? From your avatar picture he's actually purple which is a mix of blue and red of course and so he might just have lost the blue irid.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #7 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Can I see pics to compare? From your avatar picture he's actually purple which is a mix of blue and red of course and so he might just have lost the blue irid.
I'll have to see if I can get a pic of him tomorrow for you to compare it with. Because to me, he seems to have changed in color. Also my avatar pic is from a cellphone so it's not the best quality. lol
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Np!