Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #1 
Lisa1010

Why do I listen?

Last weekend I went to Petsmart to look at their plants for my 2 gallon tank. I have a female betta in a tank with 2 plants right now but one is dying and the other is a small plant. I was hoping to get a taller plant but didn't like what I saw. So I asked an employee what plant would be a good plant in my tank with mostly natural light. She of course told me any of the plants they had would work. The plants I was looking at were $8 and looked scraggly to me. They also had some that were half off but I thought why would I buy a plant for $4 that looked like it was dying? The smaller plants also cost $4 but I was hoping for something bigger.

So she was asking me questions and I was telling her I thought my betta was lonely and might enjoy some plants to play around in as she is a very active girl. I had one of those mirror balls in with her but the mirror part faded. I also have put in a water bottle top to see if she would play with it but she really doesn't. I can't sit with her all day and thought she might enjoy larger plants. So I asked her if she thought another small fish would be good as a playmate and she told me to get another female betta. I asked if they would fight because I know male and female do as I already made that mistake and had to take the male back to the store before he killed my girl. She said no they wouldn't fight and I was thinking don't you need more then two girls because I thought they had to live in groups and she said no.

So they were having a sale on their female beta's for $.99 and I chose a young (not baby) red female that is really pretty. I'm not certain but I am thinking it is a veil tail (are those the common beta's?).

Anyway, when I got home I was still unsure if putting them together was a good idea so I put the cup nest to the tank so they could see each other. Then hours later, towards evening, I decided to see if they would get along as my crowntail was interested in the new betta. Well it didn't take long at all before the crown tail was biting. So I separated them and put the new betta in a large Tupperware bowl. I have no other tank to put her in, and I have not had the time to return the new one.

Why do they tell you to buy these fish if they don't know anything about them? They tell you to buy these cute tiny tanks and then they tell you male and female will get along or that two females will be fine and that is not the case and people waste their money and time.

I know it is only $.99 but still what am I to do with her if I can't get back to the store in time to return her?

All I really wanted was a plant or two for her.

So, is there anyone in MI who wants the new red female?

I guess I need to check the receipt to see how long I have to return her before a $.99 cent buy becomes $20 or more to buy a new tank...which I have no place to put. Grrr...

I do not have 100 posts in order to reply to the threads about plants in the classified section but if anyone has easy, low light plants please let me know.

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for reading!

I think I will send Petsmart a note about this and let them know they need to educate their employee's.

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #2 
Elsewhere

This makes me so mad, pet store employees misinforming people so often and then getting fish killed or people into bad situations! I'm terribly sorry this happened to you, Lisa, I know how frustrating pet store workers can be. I mean, they told me my double tail boy was a girl and that my HMPK EE girl was a VT! I don't expect them to know everything, but having the basics would be nice for once! I have some baby plants you could have, but I live up in Canada, so not too close aha.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #3 
LittleDeer

Its all for money. even just 99 cents is more money in their pocket. The employees aren't trained well enough to know the specifics about the Bettas. So unless they already know those things, they just say whatever the company tells them to say. Do not trust Petsmart/Petco employees, as a rule. If you have questions, find the answers from someone with real life experience caring for fish, not someone who's only experience is in Petsmart netting fish for a paycheck. Not that there aren't experienced people working at Petsmart, but to be safe, I would look for answers somewhere unbiased.

This is why I take 90% of my business looking for live animals to the small, family-owned and operated pet shop near me. They have had the shop for 25 years, and actually genuinely care about their animals and customers. They will always answer any questions you have with well educated responses, and take incredible care of every animal they have. A few of the animals they have gotten have even ended up as residents because they fell in love with them, haha. But I have gotten several animals there and most of my equipment there, and have always had a fantastic experience there. And my animals have all been very healthy and happy. I can even just walk in and ask a question about an animal I have and they will know exactly how to help me. Because when they care for their animals and treat their customers well and honestly, they get customers that come back all the time. Like myself. For the past several months I have been there at least once a week. I even go just to visit, sometimes, and look at all the fish, and pet the bunnies they have in a little pen where they sell all the small animals. I got my own 2.5 year old rabbit from there, and have never once had a problem with her :)

Last edited by LittleDeer; 07-18-2013 at 11:38 AM.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #4 
Lisa1010

So I just called Petsmart and explained what happened. They are "very sorry about the inconvenience and will notify the store to educate their employees on the needs and care of betta's so as not to misinform their customers"

They also volunteered to refund the $.99. I told her that the money spent was not the point. I will spend just under $4 in gas to return her to the store or have to spend at least $20 getting a tank and supplies. She also told me I have 60 days in which to return the fish.

Canada is to far, but thanks for the baby plant offer, I really appreciate that!

And yes, from now on I will come here to ask the advice of the forum community before heading to the store.

Lisa
Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #5 
sassyfriend

They frustrate me too I also get bad info from pet store people.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 
snowflake311

I am sorry but you need to do your own research don't trust just anyone questions everything and find your own answers. What size is the tank? You could have gotten a few white clouds for her to swim with.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #7 
Lisa1010

Yep, lesson learned! I have a 2 gallon with live plants she is in. What are white clouds, and where can I get some?

I just need to keep this new girl happy until I can return her to the store!

Thanks for the replies!

Lisa
Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #8 
LittleDeer

If the tank is big enough, I'm sure she'd get along well with some cory catfish or otos. Shrimp are pretty awesome too, I wish my boy hadn't eaten all the ones I bought him >_< But my boy is pretty big and could swallow the shrimp whole. But those would be much better options for companionship and interaction for your girl. My boy loves his shoal of cories and digs around the gravel with them. One of them likes to instigate trouble with him (I should have known the one with a missing fin would be the troublemaker, haha) but my boy will chase him around (never trying to hurt him). Its funny to watch. After a few minutes of chasing, though, they settle down and explore together. I imagine its good stimulation.

Edit: 2 gallons is wayyy too small for more than one fish, unfortunately. If anything you may be able to get a single ghost shrimp, but even that's pushing it.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #9 
Lisa1010

Yes, I'm thinking I will just stick to getting her a couple of plants she can play around in.

Now I just need to find some healthy plants that don't look like they are dying!

Lisa
Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #10 
Laki

Set the red girl up in a tote box or large baking bowl or something and place it next to the current betta. They will see each other and interact through the glass until you can get another 2g tank +heater.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote