Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #1 
JViv

Best Way to Transfer to Grow Out?

I was wondering if some of the more experienced breeders had a preferred method for transferring fry to a larger grow out tank. Right now I put the breeding bin into the large tank and slowly add water until it overflows, then remove the bin. Both are quite large so this has always been a difficult task for me. Is there a better way? Also is there a certain age/size you would do this?
JViv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #2 
snowflake311

cant you just use the same water from the tank the fry are in? take the water from the current fry tank and put it in the new tank. then add the fry to the new tank. Once the fry are all in the new tank fill with more clean water but do it nice and slow.

Thats just how I would do it. I have never bred bettas before just a few other kinds.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 
JViv

The water from the first tank is mixed with the water from the grow out in this situation, I add water from the grow out to make it overflow/become equal. Would you net or cup them in your method?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #4 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViv View Post
The water from the first tank is mixed with the water from the grow out in this situation, I add water from the grow out to make it overflow/become equal. Would you net or cup them in your method?
depends on the size of the fry. Small frys are easy to catch in a container. I have gotten really good with my net catching skills so I would use a net. Some might even use their own clean hands.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #5 
trilobite

I just catch them all into a bowl and pour them straight in lol. I probably should acclimatize my fish but Im too lazy and have never had any problems from dumping them straight in
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

I use my fish bucket. I fill it up 1/2 or so with their tank water then net the little suckers and set them in the bucket. I add some of the new tank water about a cup or so every 10 minutes. After 3 water additions I net them again and put them in the larger tank. Basically acclimating again. The water is the same temperature...well, it's pretty much the same water. It all comes out of one bin and it's the same temperature and treated with prime.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #7 
Myates

Net them into 32oz deli cups that are filled about 1/4 of the way of their tank water.. then float them into the new tank to get the temps even and then gently let them go. They are tougher than we give them credit for, but it also depends on their age - you really shouldn't move them in the first couple of weeks, if you do then you need to do the acclimation with the new chemistry. But if they are older such as 4-6 weeks and bigger then you have a wider tolerance to play with.

I don't bother adding their tank water into the grow out - this is a good opportunity to give them a tank full of fresh, clean water.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 
JViv

Thank you for the replies, it sounds like I might be coddling them a bit lol I think I'll try some of these methods next time.