Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

How are you heating grow out containers?

I know people use all sorts of containers for growing out most seem too small to heat. I gather fry are very sensative and require a consistent climate. So how is it typically done?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually fry aren't as sensative as most think, I mean they are but they can also tolerate a variety of things too. I've seen a quote from a book saying that breeders should let the temp drop to around 70 at night and get to nearly 90 during the day, this helps them have an extremely large tolerance to any types of weather much like what would happen out in the wild. There are no heaters in the wild at night lol.

But yes, a fairly steady temp is good, I haven't done any of these myself but they are just things I've come across on the way:

There are things called Heat Tape, basically it's a tape that you lay down and the tanks sit atop it and it heats that way but I think there's something special where you have to have a thermostat every so many feet or so for new tape where it lay's down.

And then there is the float in a bigger container method where you have a heated tupper-ware container and let the jars/containers float in there, I think it works better with mason jars than plastic/acrylic containers that might fall over and all.

And then you can have a room sepecifically for the Betta's where you keep the air temp right up around 80-85 to keep the water around that temp since the water will always be cooler than the temp of the air.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Grow outs should be large... 20g or above. I just use an aquarium heater. Do you mean jars for the males?

And lilnaugrim, that fact seems very... Strange. First of all, large temp swing do not occur in the wild. The body of water is so large and the sand/dirt holds heat. There may be a minor swing, but it would likely only be within a few degrees. That, and bettas (and all living things for that matter) are genetically designed to be healthy and function in one set temperature range. Lets just say I'm not going to go fiddling with the heaters in my fry tanks lol.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

The larger the container of water the more stable the temp. I agree they aren't quite as delicate as most people think. Mine probably go through a 4 degree temperature swing being in the garage. The ones on the patio probably have to deal with slightly more and the ones outside...especially after the rain, the temp can swing 10 degrees or more and they seem to do well.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
And lilnaugrim, that fact seems very... Strange. First of all, large temp swing do not occur in the wild. The body of water is so large and the sand/dirt holds heat. There may be a minor swing, but it would likely only be within a few degrees. That, and bettas (and all living things for that matter) are genetically designed to be healthy and function in one set temperature range. Lets just say I'm not going to go fiddling with the heaters in my fry tanks lol.
I know it does, I was just telling from the quote that I had seen, the one that Catw0man had said before, I know you had commented on that as well.

I know large temp swings like that don't happen in the wild but the temps do still drop at night, sure not as big but they still drop regardless and change with the season change, even if it's just a slight change.

I wouldn't fiddle much with the temp either though if I were breeding, well not much at least. My Betta's get to go through 4-5 degree changes each day since their base temp is 78 but the tanks get up to 85-86 during the day in the summer, got to love the heat waves we've been getting down here >.<
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

I guess I have the names confused I meant the gallon containers. I am referring to when they must be separated and they end up in a gallon container (or whatever size) small containers that are hard to heat without it getting too hot. plus the cost of heaters would be skyhigh.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

You mean jars?

Yep, either fish room or float the individual jars in an already heated tank. You can also divide a really big tank, but that will take a lot of dividers...

Good thing females can live together. haha
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #8 
Myates

Flexwatt heat tape..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I use the jars in a bigger container with a heater method, but would like to eventually try heat tape.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #10 
Betta Adventures

Same, Jars in a bigger container. I wanted to try heat tape but how do you regulate the temperature with those?
I've heard of wrapping the heat tape around the jars or underneath the jars covered by a towel. What do you think?
Betta Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote