Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 
Imagine

Something's wrong...

My baby betta, whom I have had for a while, is acting super strange. I had just finished doing a water change on his 2.5 g tank when I noticed that he was just sort of hovering on the ground, his body slightly curved. After he did this for a few minutes, I decided to scoop him out with a cup. After several minutes, I managed to scoop him out, and I added stress coat to his cup. Yet, for some reason, all of his fins are spread out, kind of like he is flaring, but he actually isn't. He ate a pellet that was dropped to the ground, but now he is just sort of floating stiffly in one place, barely moving. He (btw, still haven't figured out his gender yet, just calling him "he" for now) has vertical stripes, and his color has darkened up. Usually, he is light brown, with baby-camouflage stripes and his fins transparent red. Now, his is a super dark brown, and his fins are a bright red. I have seen his coloring like this before, but never for more that a few moments. He doesn't react to me at all, except sometimes he freaks out when I try to get close to check on him. His fins are still spread out as wide as it can go. Imagine a fish flaring. Basically, that is what he has looked like for the past 30-45 mins. It almost seems like he is paralyzed in that position, but to be honest I doubt that is the case. He has never been like this before, and I'm ally worried. Help?!?!?!
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Since this occurred just after a water change, I would do another full water change.

It's possible that something happened during the last one.

If he gets stressed out by doing 100% changes, you can do a series of four 25% water changes instead. Wait 15-30 minutes between each change.

How do you acclimate him afterwards? Do you give him time to adjust to the new water?

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote