Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #1 
lilbabyvenus

Gabriel's Sorority

So... my original plan when we first got an aquarium was to get some cute fish for my son, Gabriel. He has been asking for fish for months, and it seemed like fun, but we got a larger tank right away and I kind of took over

Yesterday, I moved our empty 20g into Gabe's room, and set it up on top of his dresser. We just got home with four girls and moved them into the tank. He is loving having his own fish to watch in his room. Now I am totally jealous of the beautiful girls he has in his room compared to our 55 with tetras The bettas are just so colorful and have such amazing personalities already, I love them!

We're hoping to add a few more, one at a time, as we find ones that we really like.
lilbabyvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

Sororities are so much fun, but can be stressful. :) Your best friends will be QT's and breeder nets. :) I've found the breeder nets work the best for introducing new girls, because they can stay in there for days or even weeks before going in with the general population, and by that point, there's not usually any fighting or fussing because they've gotten used to one another. :)

Good luck with your girls! They are totally fun. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #3 
lilbabyvenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Sororities are so much fun, but can be stressful. :) Your best friends will be QT's and breeder nets. :) I've found the breeder nets work the best for introducing new girls, because they can stay in there for days or even weeks before going in with the general population, and by that point, there's not usually any fighting or fussing because they've gotten used to one another. :)

Good luck with your girls! They are totally fun. :)
Thank you!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #4 
lilbabyvenus

Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Oh...how old are the girls, and how long have they been in there?

Please don't take offense, I'm only mentioning this as a just in case measure. :) I don't want to seem like I'm overstepping my bounds and giving advice that may or may not be wanted. :)

You might get really lucky and just have laid back girls. Or something could change...and then they'll start going after each other and you can end up with a tragedy very, very quickly. :(

Your tank looks a little bare in the plant department (silk or live). Normally you want to have LOTS and LOTS of plants in a sorority, plants at all levels, enough so that it can be somewhat hard to see the fish. This is so that if someone is chasing someone else, they can get away or out of the line of sight of their attacker, and be "safe".

I know you mentioned that your son enjoys watching them a great deal, with lots of plants though, he'll still be able to see a few of them (probably not all), but he might also enjoy the challenge of finding them in their hideouts. :) So double benefit, he gets to have more fun with his fish, and the girls stay safe. :)

Your girls are cute though, and you've got a nice variety of colors. :) I love the bright blue one and the lighter bodied Cambodian. :)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #6 
lilbabyvenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Oh...how old are the girls, and how long have they been in there?

Please don't take offense, I'm only mentioning this as a just in case measure. :) I don't want to seem like I'm overstepping my bounds and giving advice that may or may not be wanted. :)

You might get really lucky and just have laid back girls. Or something could change...and then they'll start going after each other and you can end up with a tragedy very, very quickly. :(

Your tank looks a little bare in the plant department (silk or live). Normally you want to have LOTS and LOTS of plants in a sorority, plants at all levels, enough so that it can be somewhat hard to see the fish. This is so that if someone is chasing someone else, they can get away or out of the line of sight of their attacker, and be "safe".

I know you mentioned that your son enjoys watching them a great deal, with lots of plants though, he'll still be able to see a few of them (probably not all), but he might also enjoy the challenge of finding them in their hideouts. :) So double benefit, he gets to have more fun with his fish, and the girls stay safe. :)

Your girls are cute though, and you've got a nice variety of colors. :) I love the bright blue one and the lighter bodied Cambodian. :)
I'm not sure how old they are, but we've only had them today. I know it's too bare For some reason I thought I bought more structures the other day, but I can't seem to find anything. I should have probably waited til our plants get here but I was too impatient. I think I'm going to transfer some from the 55 tomorrow. I want to thank you for your advice though. I'm completely new to this all yet, so any tips are appreciated. I'll definitely work on filling their tank out more.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Oh good, I always worry that people are going to be insulted. :) It's so hard to get inflection on a written post, lol! :)

I'm sure they're fine for now, especially if they're still young. :) If all else fails, if you've got any silk plants floating around the house, throw those in there, lol! I've actually taken silk flowers I have from millinery projects and stuffed them in there when I switched from a 20 to a 30 and realized that they were going at it...It looked *awful*...but it got the job done until I could get proper plants in there. ;)

If you can use a glue gun, and you have a walmart around, it's actually really easy to make your own plants. :) I started doing that when I didn't like what was avail to me at my LF stores in terms of colors/types, and I also realized it's SO MUCH CHEAPER. ;) You can do flowers, but greenery really looks the best/most natural. Just clip off the metal portions and glue the greenery together into what looks like plants/bushes/trees/etc. Then just silicone some rocks to the bottom and you're good to go. :) From five bucks worth of silk plants you can fill up a tank really quickly. :)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #8 
Saber

Your sorority is looking great! It was already mentioned, but yes, you should definitely have some more plants in there for them to hide in in case conflicts arise, and maybe a cave or two. Share photos with us as it progresses!
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Oh, and I think it's zoomed, but they make this wonderful green ivy-vine-type plant for reptiles, and my girls LOVE IT. It comes with two little suction cups, and you can twist it around and stuff it down the back of the tank, securing each side with the suction cups, and viola, instant "greenery wall" along the back and the girls will hide out in. :) Every morning I find my girls snuggled up in the leaves happy as little clams. :)

Reptile stuff is aquarium safe, and for some reason it's usually cheaper as well. I don't know why...often times it's the same companies making both...and the reptile plants are usually bigger as well, so you get more coverage. :)

This isn't quite the same as what I bought (I didn't pay this much for it), but it's similar, and gives you an idea:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9754
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #10 
lilbabyvenus

I'll try to make a trip to Walmart today. I'll have to check our hot glue and see if I still have the bag to see if it's non-toxic. Hopefully I don't need to buy more of that, we have so much! lol