Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
spreadtoothinly

First Tank Journal! 29 gal. planted

Hello everybody! This will be my first tank, I'm SOOOOOOO exited!!! :red yay:Right now I have a 29 gal. tank filled with sand, some plastic "driftwood" ("hand-me-downs") and water, with filter and heater turned on. I have ordered lights (CD-83617 Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture 24-36") *tips hat to Aurie for helping me select the lighting* API FW testing kit, and Flourish comp. fert. (all of which have been shipped and should arrive some time next week) I have a submersible heater (not sure what it is, it came with the tank which I got from the street. And a Penguin Biowheel 200. I am planning on having these fish:

And water sprite, java moss, pigmy chain sword, and Brazilian pennywort for plants.
Here's the tank right after I finished putting the water in. (if I can get the stupid picture imbed to work! )
And here's it this morning, it's sorta hart to tell from the pictures it's really a LOT clearer now. (I moved the filter to try and minimize the splashing...)

IT WORKED!!!!!!! Sorry about the reflections...

Last edited by spreadtoothinly; 07-18-2013 at 06:54 PM.
spreadtoothinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #2 
spreadtoothinly

Ok, this is REALLY weird... Y'all saw how clear it was yesterday, right? Well, when I got up this morning the tank was all cloudy again... I've not been adding ammonia, and if I was it would still be WAY to early for a algae bloom... What could it be?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #3 
Aurie

a water change could never hurt
Posted via Mobile Device
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #4 
spreadtoothinly

Yea, I think I might do that...
It's getting worse...
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #5 
Aurie

did you use shrimp? It could be that or something in the gravel/sand. Might need new sand. Pool filter sand ideas. 1 50lb bag should he enough for that tank
Posted via Mobile Device
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #6 
Mar

No clue what the cloudiness is, but I can't wait to see your tank all set up!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #7 
spreadtoothinly

Quote:
did you use shrimp? It could be that or something in the gravel/sand. Might need new sand. Pool filter sand ideas. 1 50lb bag should he enough for that tank
No, I didn't-I'm still planning to do the fish-in cycle. (I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone with this, but it's what I think will work best for me) At this point I think its the sand... I'll see what I can do-I should be going out running errands early next week so we'll se about getting some sand then.

I'm glad your following along Mar, and I can't wait either! SO EXITING!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

There is nothing wrong with doing a fish in cycle. You just have to be extra careful is all.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #9 
spreadtoothinly

I GOT THE WATER TESTING KIT AND FERT. LAST SATERDAY!!!! SO EXITED!!! The packaging on the fert. was INSANE, the cap was taped up, then it was put in two trash-type bags tied at the end with like 4 knots, then wrapped in bubble wrap and COVERED with tape.
I'll test tomorrow, off to help with VBS...
Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #10 
spreadtoothinly

THE LIGHTS ARE HERE!!!!! I've been having fun playing with the presets. (But this should teach you to read the description BEFORE you buy it, lol. I didn't know it was the fancy one.)
I also tested my tap water the results are
pH: above 7.6 (I don't have a plus sign on my keyboard?!)
High Range pH: around 7.8 (hmm, that's a bit high...)
Nitrites, Nitrates, and Ammonia: 0 ppm
I've also decided to try and clean the sand I have more before going and getting new. I'm doing a couple handfuls at a time, it takes SO LONG TO GET IT CLEAN!!! But at least it's GETTING clean... sort of... Well at least a LOT more clean than it was before.