Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #11 
spreadtoothinly

Ok, I'm getting new sand!!! What I have now just will NOT get clean. EVER.
That being said, I'm planning to get sand later today, so I should get 50 lbs.?
Also, will one Mystery Snail be enough to cycle my tank?
Thanks!
spreadtoothinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #12 
spreadtoothinly

I got the sand! It's called "Super Naturals Premium Aquarium Substrate", it is black and looks kinda like the black moon sand... (I can't remember the name at the moment...)
Also, I know with swords you need root tabs, but will I need it for the pigmy chain swords?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #13 
Aurie

I have that sand in my 29. Rinse it and don't be surprised if it has an oil on the surface of the water. A paper towel laid on the surface takes care of that. Hard to see poop so clean the tank well every week. A pack of root tabs won't hurt. Api and flourish both make root tabs. I forget which one I use. I just remember 1 brand sacked for me and fell apart easily and another brand was better for me. The problem is I can't remember which was which. If I remember I'll post a reply.
Posted via Mobile Device
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #14 
Aurie

I used Api but they disintegrate too fast. I got flourish at petsmart and I liked them more. I buy 1 pack and share it between 5 tanks every 3 months. Cheaper online if you have other items to buy. At petsmart they are $10
Posted via Mobile Device
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #15 
spreadtoothinly

OIL?! well, thanks for telling me!!!
Ok, I've heard people recommend both the API and Flourish... I think I've ordered everything that I need to (except the plants, but they don't have root tabs... weird...), so I'll probably go over to Petsmart and get some. AND I just found out that we have a FISH store!!!!! it's VERY small though, and don't have a wide selection of animals, although they had a lionfish in their saltwater "isle" (the whole store is about as big as my living room, and I have a small one at that.) STILL SO EXITED!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #16 
spreadtoothinly

Do you like the sand? I've started putting it in the tank, and will probably finish by Tuesday... SO EXITED!!!
After the cloudy water should I replace the filter media? Or should the "old" ones be ok?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #17 
spreadtoothinly

Fish Tank-Take Two

Ok, I got all the sand rinsed and put in the tank, filled up (goes SO MUCH faster when you are using buckets instead on 1/2 gallon juice jugs) and it's had the filter running (with new media, but no bio-wheel, I should have replaced it earlier anyway... I've ordered it...so hopefully it'll get here soon) for a little less than 24 hours(I didn't start it right away). It's still a bit cloudy, but pretty clear. (I didn't put in the stuff that came with it...)

But now the filter is making bubbles in the tank...(video)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #18 
spreadtoothinly

Oh boy, I think my heater is broken, it's set to 26 C and it's 24 C in the tank, but it's not turning on, and when it un-plug and re-plug it in the light doesn't go on, like it usually does when you just plug it in... I'll see if It goes on later today, but I think I'll have to buy a new one...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #19 
spreadtoothinly

PHEW, The heater is working now, not sure what that was..
Anyway so far so good as far as clear water is concerned, and STAY CLEAR WATER, you hear me?! I also got the "wood" rinsed off and in the tank. (sorry for fuzzy pic...)

Can't wait till it's ready for the snail!!! (I'm gonna use him/her to cycle the tank.) So I need that order to ship... Then when that gets here I can order the plants, then when that gets here I can plant, and then I can get my snail!! CAN'T WAIT!!

Last edited by spreadtoothinly; 07-30-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #20 
spreadtoothinly

Ok, now the heater is just being weird... it's set to 26 C and it just came on, but the thermometer says it's 27-28... Any ideas of what is going on? Should I buy a new heater?