Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #31 
spreadtoothinly

Quote:
Yay for clear water! Do you have one of those Top Fin heaters?
Yay indeed! And yes it is actually, it's a Top Fin 150 watt. It seems to be acting more normally now, I think part of it is that it gets really cold at night (yes it is summer, we don't have AC, so we open all the windows at night to get the house cool. For instance now (6:02 AM) it's 18 C, but it's not uncommon to get to 16 C)... So I *think* it's working... But I'll keep observing it and see what happens.
spreadtoothinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #32 
spreadtoothinly

Now the heater seems to be working properly. I was thinking of putting in a bit of fish food, to "kick-start" the cycle. Is this a bad idea?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #33 
spreadtoothinly

Ok, I just tested the water in the tank today, the results are a bit different...
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: +7.6
High Range pH: 8.2 (?! it was high before, but now... will it go back to 7.8?)
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm (I'm guessing the substrate is leaking ammonia?)
I'm planning to add an algae wafer to the tank, I'm not adding the fish for a while, so we shall see. I need to get that order, which should be here next week... but it hasn't shipped yet, and then I'll order the plants, but I have to pick a day when it isn't too hot, because it has to go through Phoenix... I wouldn't be worried if it went strait here, but Phoenix is hot... really hot... But anyway, I'm going to be planting and only after all that is done THEN I will get a snail... So we shall see.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #34 
spreadtoothinly

OK, I put in the algae wafer yesterday, so how often should I check for ammonia? Every other day? What?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #35 
spreadtoothinly

I checked ammonia today, and it's still at 0.25 ppm, so I put in another algae wafer.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #36 
spreadtoothinly

The package came! But the bio-wheel replacement I ordered is too small. :( So I decided to try out the one that came with it. So I put it in and I come back... maybe half an hour later, and EVERYTHING has been splashed... I think I'll skip the bio-wheel, it doesn't NEED it... Anyway... TIME TO ORDER THOSE PLANTS!!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #37 
spreadtoothinly

I tested the water again today. It still says 0.25, so I put in another wafer (the only food I have at the moment) in, for a grand total of three wafers. They came with the tank, so I don't know how old they are, is it possible they are too old, and are not producing ammonia?
Also, I ordered the plants this morning! but if I understand correctly it won't be here till the 16th...
I don't think I'll be doing the snail after all, or at least not now. I would like to, but I don't have a hood, so they can climb out. :(
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #38 
Aurie

I have a lot of snails in my 20 including a nerite and a mystery snail and they don't climb out. I guess they could if they wanted too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #39 
spreadtoothinly

Quote:
I have a lot of snails in my 20 including a nerite and a mystery snail and they don't climb out. I guess they could if they wanted too.
Hmmm... Well, I think I'll try that, lets hope it DOESN'T want to!

I forgot to mention, before I tested the water I topped it off, about two gallons. (De chlorinated of course) Also, is it normal for the water to get cloudy? I assume so, but I want to make sure.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #40 
spreadtoothinly

Tested again, this time all of them. So here goes!
Ammonia 0.25 (added another algae wafer)
pH: +7.6
High Range pH: 8.2
NitrAte: 0
NitrIte: 0
We shall find out tomorrow, about the plants. Either they will come tomorrow, or a week after tomorrow...