Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #1 
bettacraze

HELP I think he's dying :(

Bought him four days ago and he was bright green and blue, active, eating, interactive even when I didn't have food. Put him in a new bowl 1/4 teaspoon aqueon betta bowl plus to a 76 floz bowl, everything was rinsed first tank has a small heater. And this is him today...

Name:  Sick fishy.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  24.9 KB

Housing
What size is your tank? 76 floz
What temperature is your tank? comfortable to the touch not cold at all
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? so far just the pellets, he hasn't eaten in two days now but I have the freeze dried snacks the fish store said they like to eat blood worms and something else.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day when he would eat

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? only once so far, just got him
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? was a new tank so whole thing was new water.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner. But just this last minute realized I did not add enough and will add the extra to make the appropriate amount immediately.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? color dull, fins flat and sad looking. laboring for breath
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, won't swim, barely moving when he does try to
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no don't know what to do yet besides added the extra conditioner.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? no clue, four days with me :) or :( guess depends on how you look at it. :/
bettacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 
bettacraze

I've just now added another 1/2 teaspoon to his water of conditioner. So he's had 3/4 conditioner for 76 floz of water. directions were 1 teaspoon per gallon. just as an update to what he's swimming in.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

76oz is approximately 1/2g which is a very small volume water. You should do a water change at a very minimum every other day. If you don't have a thermometer I'd suggest getting one so you know for certain the water temp. It could be that the preset heater isn't keeping the water at a minimum of 76F. What brand of water conditioner are you using? If you can switch to Prime you only have to use drops per gallon & its the best in most peoples opinion. Does he have any plants real or silk? Does he have a cave? It is very possible that he had an illness when you purchased him & its just now showing.you could try some Aq salt, pre dissolved before adding to the tank, its usually 1 tsp per gallon so yours would be 1/2 tsp. when you do a water change you'll need to acclimate him appropriately each time since you're doing 100% water changes. Somebody else may off something different. Good luck with him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 
bettacraze

thanks! I'll see about the salt, yes he has one live plant, and a cave the container is square so he has los of top space. I only did the 100 percent because I took him from his cup to the tank. I'll do about half or so after this time unless he needs 100 percent to feel better. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a thermometer. and it's aquas better bowl plus that came with the kit so I'll have to buy a better one tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

When you say it's "comfortable to the touch" does it feel warm to you? Remember, our body is around 98 degrees. If it feels warm to us, it's probably too hot for them. They need between 76-82 degrees. It should feel slightly cool to the touch.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 
Starbelly

Get the heater out of there! I tried heating a half gallon using the smallest size pre-set heater I could find, and the temp kept rising, it got to 90 degrees and it was too late, the little guy couldn't handle it, he displayed the exact same symptoms as your fish. It's not safe to heat a container so small. It was a sad lesson learned for me. Hopefully your little guy can pull through!
Starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) Remove the cave and the live plant (and any other decorations) from the tank.

For now, just keep him in a bare tank. It's possible there's something going on with the cave, plant, or anything else in the tank. (For example, there are some decorations which leech chemicals into the water.) So, to treat him, just keep him in the tank. Remove everything else. (You can pour the current water into a bowl and put the plant in there, for now.)

2) Determine the temperature of the water.

Do you have a thermometer in the house? Any thermometer will do. If you've used it for something else, rinse it off with lots of cool or room temperature water. Then, take the temperature of the water. Knowing the temperature will be very helpful.

Bettas do best at temperatures in the range of 77-86F. (With about 79-80F being considered 'ideal.) Since you have a heater, it's probably not too cold in there, but you'll need to make sure it's not too warm also.

3) Do a full (100%) water change.

Once you know the temperature, I would do a full water change.

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. (Use the thermometer to verify this. The new water should be within 1-2 degrees of his current tank water.)
  4. Add the correct amount of water conditioner. For your 1/2 gal bowl, you'll need to add 1/2 teaspoon of Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus. (*See note below.)
  5. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  6. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  7. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  8. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  9. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  10. Gently release him into the tank.

Since he's in a 1/2 gal tank, you'll need to repeat this process about every other day. Toxins and ammonia build up quickly in small bowls, and the only way to remove them is via frequent water changes.

* Note: If you're having a tough time with the water conditioner.... Fill a 1 gal jug with tap water at the correct temperature. Add 1 teaspoon of Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus conditioner. Use this water for the water change.

4) Can you post a photo of the entire tank?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 07-18-2013 at 10:30 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #8 
MadDog

Take out the heater or at least turn it off! My betta almost died when I first put one in and it was only 82 degrees.
MadDog is offline   Reply With Quote