Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #1 
Lamb

Does this seem right?

I have decided that I will gradually upgrade my boys to something larger than a 1.5 gallon vase. So I was thinking of this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30122199/ but the calculator I've been putting the dimensions in says it's 5.74 gallons.

Does this seem right to you?

It seems like it would be at least 2, maybe 3, but not 5.74 gallons. I used the same calculator for the current vases, and it was accurate for those, but I rounded down. I just can't imagine that these are indeed 5 gallons.

Here's the calculator link:
http://www.aquaticlife.com/volume-calculator
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's probably true but personally I wouldn't use a vase like that. Betta's need to breathe and hang out at the surface quite often so with less surface space and more space to travel upwards, it would be a pain on them. If it were a Plakat or a female it might be okay but I still wouldn't do it :-/ instead try something like this one: http://www.target.com/p/threshold-15...FYui4Aod_xwA_Q

It calculates at roughly 2 gallons but I was more just looking at shape rather that particular vase.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #3 
Lamb

Hmm. Okay. I was hoping for something a little bigger than 2 gallons, but that one is nice. I don't know. I'll stick to the ones they are in for now... I just have to find the right ones...
Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I don't mean you have to buy that specific one but if you can find a vase that's shorter and has more surface space, it will be better for your Betta. Taller tanks/bowls/vases aren't as good for them because they need to breath air and the longer it takes for them to get to the surface, the worse it is.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #5 
Lamb

Yeah. Never thought of it like that. I like this one, it would be about 3 gallons and it's only a few more dollars than the one you linked.

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-15..._1_4&term=vase
Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah, it is nice

Oooh! I don't know if you have them in your area but there's a store called Saver's, basically donated stuff and they re-sell it. I've seen tons of vases like that there but check out your local thrift shops and stuff like that to see if they have any good ones! It could save you lots of money too ^_^
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #7 
Lamb

Thanks! I'll have to look into that! We just moved here from Kansas, so I don't really know everything that's around. :)

Thank you for the tips!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah gotcha, np!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Unless you're wedded to the idea of glass, Kritter Keepers can make very nice tanks; plus, they come with lids. I've used them as holding tanks and was quite pleased. A guy on eBay has mediums (3 gallons) for $5.00 each and $6.99 shipping no matter how many you buy.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #10 
Lamb

Lol. I will look into it, though I wanted something that would be rather pleasing to the eye also. I think I might go with very large glass globe vases. Or something similar.