Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #1 
HeadlessLegoMom

Baffle?!

How do you know if a filter needs to be baffled? If it does need to be baffled, can someone please give me a list of what supplies I need and explain where they need to be put and how?

I know that bettas don't like much water movement, but my fish seems to like the air bubbler on a low setting. He puts his face where the bubbles come out. If the filter makes the water move so much that his food starts to float away, does that mean it needs to be baffled or only if it seems to bother him? Also, how could I tell if it were bothering him?
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

The filter should be baffled if your fish is having a hard time swimming, or sucking him up into the intake. Here's a baffle that most keepers use. I personally would just use an unused sponge or even just raise the water level a little bit higher. I find the bottle baffle is a tad bit loud.

Won't he chase his food if it floats away? My betta and guppies always chase after the food because it floats away on it's own.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #3 
HeadlessLegoMom

Oh, so if he is swimming fine and doesn't seem bothered then I don't need to do anything?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #4 
alwaysaBettaLover

My betta started tail biting because he didn't like the current. I don't think there is a way to tell; I guess I would do it right away lol. It's just better to be safe than sorry. (Mine bit off half his tail, and it still looks bad...)

Try this:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #5 
HeadlessLegoMom

He will try to chase it but he spits out his NLS pellets and then eats them again once or twice, so some bits scatter and will end up at the bottom of the tank.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #6 
sainthogan

I wouldn't. My female doesn't mind hers at all, but I had to turn the filter completely off in my male's because he has chronic SBD right now, and any movement makes it so more difficult for him to move around.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #7 
HeadlessLegoMom

Thanks. My fish was already biting his tail, so I don't know how I would tell. I would actually prefer to use a sponge if I need to baffle. Is there a how-to for that as well?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

As long as he can eat, just a little bit, he'll be just fine. :D
As for the sponge baffle, just use a rubber band or fishing line to tie it around the filter. Either in the intake or around the outflow.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 
Flyby Stardancer

I don't think there's a how-to for a sponge baffle. You just take one and secure it onto the filter with whatever you can. Some people use rubber bands, I used fishing line...
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #10 
HeadlessLegoMom

I am not really familiar with filters and which part is which. Obviously an outflow would be the filtered water going back into the tank, and an inflow is where the initial tank water is sucked up. Let me try to upload a couple of pictures. I took them because I wasn't sure if the water was supposed to be bubbling behind the media or if a stream of bubbles was supposed to be rising up from the air inlet port.