Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #1 
smiller1776

Experinced fish guy with a new Betta adiction

Hello Beta Junk'es how are you fish lovers & fish doing?.......I have had all types of tanks from my goldfish as a kid, through the cool phase of cichlids right up to my old 200gal. marine/reef tank. But sadly a very long power out when I stayed in South Bend years ago killed the whole tank, I was snowed in and could not get access to a gen. “before anybody says get a Gen.". After that I made a promise never to have a fish tank that cost more then my car . and for the past 6 six years I traveled for work so any set up at all was a no go because I would be gone for weeks or months at a time. BUT YES THE TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!!!!!! I will now be able to scratch my aquarium itch so I have some thing to admire and chill out with at the end of a long day. & The root cause for all the banter is to prime everybody for this question. You best guess on what would monthly cost & time on first turn around on the first set of fry for getting in to breeding show beta, I have recently developed a beta addiction of a sort I guess, my dream first pair would be a all purple male and all yellow or silver female , but I need to do a lot of research on different breeds what hot/not and the different gene traits ect. Any input and links for great info on the matter would be great but most of all I would like you guys opinion not just a link posted thanks. And I will be slowly going over these forums when I have, later
smiller1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #2 
Catw0man

Welcome to the betta addiction! I'm surprised it didn't get you sooner! As I don't breed bettas (just collect them), I can't help with your breeding questions, but you might want to post in the "Breeding Betta Fish" section of the forum where those with more experience may be more likely to see your post and respond. Best of luck with your new addiction!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #3 
smiller1776

Thumbs up 5g and 1.5g Ready :)

Alright My 5 gal for "Abraham" who I just picked up at pet co who looked too cool to leave him there, is FINALLY READY!!! once the Bio cycle is good to go and the plants get established he will be moving in (his temp home is a sweet 1,5g setup as well pic to follow).but anyway I am going to run the 5g with guppies & 3 ghost shrimp (which fills the salt/marine lover in me) to go through the cycle. And early In the day I got a Wal-Mart please save my life fish "Wally" will call him. but he is in bad shape, he will go in to the 1.5g from his temp after I make some post in the save my fish forum lol & see what I can do . So once I fig out how to get theses pics uploaded ill show off my AMAZING tank . I spent about 20 hours from start to finish, with about 2 redo’s cause I did not like how it looked. And in all my tanks I use sand which if you know makes forming and stacking stuff hard, but there are a few tricks out there ;) and I never use and glue or putty went I build my marine or now in this case my Betta tank :) please tell me what you think good or bad thanks…
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #4 
Saber

Sounds good! I can't wait to see pics of your set ups and the bettas!
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #5 
smiller1776

Now I need to fig out how to post them in the thread
Old 07-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Welcome back to the hobby, and to the addiction!

Do you have any specific questions about breeding bettas? My suggestion is that you get familiar with the species first, through experience and research. I would try to wait at least a couple of months to see if bettas are a species you are interested in and committed to... Remember, a spawn is a big commitment... You have to spend a lot of time every day for at least 4 months to get success. Familiarize yourself with the genetics too. Bettysplendens.com is great.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #7 
smiller1776

Talking Tanks Done

O.K. now here are my 2 long term Betta tanks, 5g for male and the 1.5g for the lady to be. I named the male half-moon that I got a petco "Abraham" since I watched Lincoln the other night(Great Movie). And he is in the 1.5g currently until the full bio cycle runs it's course in the 5g), Then I hope to buy a Really nice female to breed with . and both where setup last night. and pls give your take on the 5g I just got done looking at some really cool tanks in the fourm...
http://www.fishtanks.net/fishtank.php?fishtank=10034
http://www.fishtanks.net/fishtank.php?fishtank=10042

Last edited by smiller1776; 07-21-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: looked at cool fish tanks
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #8 
VJM

You don't need to expose any fish to the spikes and swings of a cycling tank. Just use pure ammonia, with no additives, and you can get that tank cycled. It tends to go even quicker because you can let ammonia and nitrite run higher, rather than having to bring levels back down for the fish.

Sounds like you are off to a good start!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #9 
smiller1776

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Welcome back to the hobby, and to the addiction!

Do you have any specific questions about breeding bettas? My suggestion is that you get familiar with the species first, through experience and research. I would try to wait at least a couple of months to see if bettas are a species you are interested in and committed to... Remember, a spawn is a big commitment... You have to spend a lot of time every day for at least 4 months to get success. Familiarize yourself with the genetics too. Bettysplendens.com is great.

Well I have a good amount of tanking exp with fresh water, cichlids ,and I had a great marine/reef tank 200g... And I have success full breeding cichlids but that was about 10 years ago when I was in the navy. I guess the first Q I need to answer is where to learn about the different breeds and genomes’ (genes dominant/recessive), so I am not breeding blind, cause if I stick with this I might look into show fish. but that's a bit down the road. so does that help narrow down a bit
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl....imp?catid=864
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl....imp?catid=890
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl....imp?catid=857
http://bettasource.com/more-betta/br...r-buying-fish/
http://bettasource.com/more-betta/breeding/
http://bettasource.com/more-betta/br...aising-bettas/

That should help you a bit. Bettas have very interesting genetics that will take a long time to understand. Breeding a purple to a yellow may look cool but the results probably won't be to great. Like I said, it would be smart to give yourself a couple of months for research and preparation.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote