Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #11 
NorthernLights

I concur with the others that you should get plenty familiar with bettas before you breed them. They are wonderful and unique fish that have very specific requirements. You experience with chiclids and such may be helpful, but bettas have a different set of challenges (especially with long and flowy fins) that you will need to grapple with.

Another thought I have is this: bettas are sadly a "throwaway" pet to many people. Very few folks realize how long bettas really should live (5 years or so, there are accounts of living up to 9 years), what they really should feed (there's only ~2 commonly available foods that are truly worthwhile, nearly all the others are junk), what their heating needs really are, etc. By breeding bettas, you may add to the number of fish in this world that suffer slow, painful deaths at the hands of ignorant owners -- even if you educate them! How do you feel about that issue?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #12 
smiller1776

Exclamation right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
I concur with the others that you should get plenty familiar with bettas before you breed them. They are wonderful and unique fish that have very specific requirements. You experience with chiclids and such may be helpful, but bettas have a different set of challenges (especially with long and flowy fins) that you will need to grapple with.

Another thought I have is this: bettas are sadly a "throwaway" pet to many people. Very few folks realize how long bettas really should live (5 years or so, there are accounts of living up to 9 years), what they really should feed (there's only ~2 commonly available foods that are truly worthwhile, nearly all the others are junk), what their heating needs really are, etc. By breeding bettas, you may add to the number of fish in this world that suffer slow, painful deaths at the hands of ignorant owners -- even if you educate them! How do you feel about that issue?

right there with you, Wal-Mart should be put on trial , I also got a male from Wally world as well yesterday to try to rescue it but its in pretty bad shape, but he is on his meds. its a male split tale I think, is that right? well any way I am all about the fish, It's kind of funny cause at my last job I got to do a lot of work on 3 different N.O.A.A Boats that they use for research and other cool stuff related to fish of all sorts, even when snowboarding with the Chief eng and the JO of one of them. & I will remind everybody I maintained a 200Gal. marine/reef tank, about the same time the Nemo moving came out but my tank was all ready set up. & good luck trying to find a orange clown fish for about 9-12 Months after that movie came out (which is in my all time top 5 along with goonies/back to the future/red dawn old version/Marvels avengers/pulp fiction/fight club, sorry I got carried away there. but yea I should be able to handle a fish that people and Wal-Mart have live in a 8 oz cup..

P.S. check out this youtube vid. I found a few months ago when I started to research bettas watch the whole thing . But note I have no affalation which who ever made the vid or am I help addveretise there stuff at end credits, because I have not checked it out thoughly

http://youtu.be/MSSRMqmPbAA
smiller1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #13 
NorthernLights

You still are not addressing the main question with breeding bettas: how do you feel about potentially adding to the number of bettas in the world that are suffering at the hands of ignorant or uncaring owner? Once someone buys a betta from you, you cannot control what they do with it.

It's not just Wal-Mart. Basically every pet store (especially the big-name pet stores) keeps these fish in cold cups, usually not cleaned nearly often enough. All those fish are suffering. The more bettas being bred in the world, the more fish end up in those cups, even if YOU aren't putting them in those cups.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote