Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #1 
EdgyWolf

I hate stumbling upon people like this...

So on a different website I'm a part of, I come across a picture of someone's betta fish in a cruddy little 2 liter Marina fish bowl and I decided to say something and tell them that they should at least make an effort to get a 2.5 gallon tank or something because a 2 liter bowl just isnt good for a betta fish. This person also didn't have a heater for the poor crowntail and the water in the picture is tinted yellow. They tell me that they change the water every 4 to 5 days. I hate coming across people like this. It's just awful. They also told me that they've owned many betta fish in the past that have lives for 4 to 5 years which I think is a crazy long time for betta fish to live. I honestly dont think they're telling the truth to me in what they're saying. Just sucks that people think these small bowls are good for betta fish. It's not even a bowl. It's more like a tupperware container!!
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #2 
GinjaHaZ

I see stuff like that on Instagram as well, but I try to be as polite as possible when I try correcting what they're doing wrong. Still hurts my heart though..
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 
ismintis

I feel the same. It drives me crazy when they insist they are doing everything right and I am the wrong one...I just decide to be the better person and walk away. :/
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #4 
LizbethDawn

I figure you can only help people if they want to be helped so anymore unless they ask people think about their set up I don't say anything.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #5 
Saber

Many people care more about being right all the time and fear being embarrassed in front of their internet buddies than they care about the health of their pet. We can only hope that they think about what you've said and do some research on their own.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #6 
karenluvsbettas623

Some bettas really do have a strong immune system and can live in those for years, as long as they do water changes.

My friend got one of those 1/2gal hex tanks that you can divide in half for her kids. Can you imagine that? 1/2 gal for 2 fish!

I told her that was wayyyy too small, "but its specifically for bettas!" she said. I didn't wanna argue, that doesn't help. Eventually one of them got fin rot, so I offered to take her and heal her, I never brought her back! , for the other one, I bought the kids a 2.5 gal pirate ship themed one and put her in there. I go to her house every week to do the water change...because my friend never does!.......I would kidnap that one too, but the kids are attached to her now.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #7 
Saber

^ Oh my goodness, people are so stubborn! Its unfortunate that she is setting that kind of example for her kids. You should never just blindly trust what the big name pet stores tell you.

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a friend from college...I was visiting her rental house for a party and I noticed a betta in a kritter keeper on the back of a hutch that was cluttered with stuff. The poor guy's water was green!

My friend told me it was her roommate's fish, and that she never feeds it. The roommate was about to be kicked out for not paying rent, so I asked if I could come over the next day and take him (since it was a January night and literally below zero outside). She said it was fine, but I wasn't able to make it over the next day and when I asked my friend again, she said one of their cats ate the betta. =( Poor little guy.

It irks me that not only did the roommate not take care of her fish, but there were also TWO OTHER people living in that house and not one of them thought to clean his kritter keeper and feed him.

Last edited by Saber; 07-19-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #8 
tigerhappy26

Yeah I see people all the time do that and then they're all said there fish died.
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #9 
quietlythundering

It ridiculous. That's why I try to set an example for my little brothers-I want them to understand that everything, fish included, deserve the best we can give them. My mom's actually learned a bit from me too-she asked me what she'd have to do if she wanted to get a betta, and when I told her, she admitted it may be a bit much for her to handle. And honestly? I'm glad she said that. I'd rather someone admit that they can't handle the responsibility for something before they dive into a situation, rather than end up knee deep in trouble and frustration. So instead, she admires my guys when she comes over :D
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #10 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
UGH. This reminds me of a betta I found in a tiny bowl. I named the betta Epic. He sadly died due to (I think) sickness? I hate people like that!
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote