Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #1 
Madi92

Male or female

Does any one have any prefrence on gender . I am a newer betta owner but I love the fish so much, I currently have my little boy chandler who I got 2 months ago who is doing great. So any way was wondering if I should get a female, because I'm really trying to talk my mom into letting me get another betta,( she even loves them ) and if she lets me I don't know which gender to get, so if any one has a prefrence or are there any differences in the diffrent genders let ,e know what you think, and also what about a female sorority, if you have any information on that let me know.
Madi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 
lexyfly

I personally like males better. They have those long beautiful fins that the females lack. I have only ever owned females though. (weird I know.) I had a sorority but things did not work out and my mom had me return all my fish. :( (I know how hard moms are to convince on bettas lol) I love colorful females too though! some do have surprisingly long fins but I still adore the males. In my opinion I would say get another male!
lexyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

I would wait until you have a little more experience before you start a sorority...

I think you should pick a betta based on personality!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 
ismintis

I agree with jesssan2442, I pick all my betta fish off of their personality. When they give me 'the look' I know I need to take them home. I don't care if there are prettier fish at the store, they don't have the same connection with me.
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #5 
TheOnlyCanvas

Yeah... I'd wait on the sorority until you have more experience. I have a fair amount of experience and currently have 4 fish and maintain cycled tanks and I still don't feel ready to start one, as much as I really really want to.

I have 2 boys and 2 girls, and I love them all for different reasons. The girls are much more active, for sure. Though to be honest I think it depends more on the fish's personality than the gender. If you want to get another fish, find the one you get that little spark of connection with! It could be anything - maybe his/her coloring is just so amazing that you can't stand to leave without them, or they come up to the front of the cup and make cute faces at you, or dance when you wiggle your finger in front of them. If your fish likes you right off the bat chances are your bond with them will be a strong one :)
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #6 
Viva

Sororities can be hard to manage especially if you don't yet have much experience. I just started a sorority and it is a lot of work - and can be VERY expensive. I recommend having all types of medications on hand if you want to start a sorority because if one female gets a contagious disease then most likely all the females will get it. As for female or male, I love both. Both my baby bettas turned out to be females and they are much more active than my males. They swim a lot faster and seem to be more active because they aren't dragged down by the weight of their fins. They also are less prone to fin damage/infections and will not be tail biters because their tails are shorter. Many people say females aren't as colorful as males but it's not necessarily true - my girls from Aquabid are very vibrant and pretty.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #7 
Polkadot

I have only owned male Veiltails & I just love them.They are truly lovely and are very active and playful.So sweet,funny & beautiful.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #8 
karenluvsbettas623

I have 4 girls and 6 boys. Females are don't get the credit they deserve, my girls are very spunky and have more personality than my males. Its a personal choice, I like both for different reasons.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #9 
BettaLover1313

I say go with the fish that fits best with your personality regardless of gender of color. If you just know you can't leave without that betta, take him or her home :)
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #10 
Chrislovesbettas

cut fish
Chrislovesbettas is offline   Reply With Quote