Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 
Senshine

Aquabid Betta girls quarantine.

My girls have been in Canada for almost a month now under quarantine with two weeks at Catwomans and about one week here with me. I am going on vacation next week and I believe I have two options.
I was thinking I can either put them all together and watch them this week before I go away and separate any really aggressive ones, or keep them in their quarantine jars and have to come back home every few days to change their water and feed them or pay someone to come change their water and feed them.
I'm not sure if their quarantine time gets 'reset' after travelling again, but none of them are showing any signs of illness except one girl that is having some swim bladder issues.
Basically what I want to know is if it would be okay to add them all (possible without the swim bladder girl) and watch them this week, or if I should keep them in quarantine.
Their tank is cycled and just waiting for them (the plants could stand to grow in more, but I think it's suitable lol).
Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

When you say the tank is cycled, how did you cycle it? Do you have other fish in the tank or have you been keeping the BB alive dosing with ammonia? Are your parameters ammonia/nitrites 0 & nitrates <20? I'm asking because once you add the girls into the tank, the tank may go through a mini cycle because of the increased bio load; I don't know how many girls you have or how big the tank is. If it were me, I'd probably add them all together, I'd rather them be in a bigger tank with a filter than a smaller container while I was away just in case I couldn't get home like planned or whomever was supposed to take care of them didn't do it properly, there's chance of a problem in a larger tank usually.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 
peachii

Unless you have someone to come in and check on them a couple times a day while you are gone, to make sure everyone is happy and not being picked on, I'd keep them quarantined until you get back. Much better to be safe than sorry if one or two fish decided to fin nip and fight heavily with no one to intervene. You'll probably have a month or two especially if the plant cover isn't heavy yet where they will argue over who is in charge.

All it takes is one mean girl to wreck the tank if she is left unchecked for a few days.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #4 
Catw0man

I think that the quarantine period (with regard to possible disease) has been fulfilled and it's really just a question of what is the better option for keeping them healthy during your vacation time. I don't think you'd want to return every couple of days to do water changes on their quarantine containers, so unless there is someone reliable who you could trust 100% to care for them during your absence, I think putting them in the sorority is probably the best bet, especially if you will still be home for a week to observe the goings-on in the tank.
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #5 
Senshine

I have someone coming to check on my other pets everyday, so she will be feeding the fish as well and I'll make sure she knows what to looks for. I really would rather not have to come back every couple days haha.
I don't have a week to keep an eye on them anymore but I'm confident in the persons ability to let me know whats going on and to be able to do something about it. I'm only a few hours away so I could go back in the case of an emergency of course..
If I add them tonight, is it too late now? Does the time really matter?
The tank is really cycled, I'm a little worried about the mini cycle.
Thank you all :)
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #6 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshine View Post
I have someone coming to check on my other pets everyday, so she will be feeding the fish as well and I'll make sure she knows what to looks for. I really would rather not have to come back every couple days haha.
I don't have a week to keep an eye on them anymore but I'm confident in the persons ability to let me know whats going on and to be able to do something about it. I'm only a few hours away so I could go back in the case of an emergency of course..
If I add them tonight, is it too late now? Does the time really matter?
The tank is really cycled, I'm a little worried about the mini cycle.
Thank you all :)
Did you add them last night? I made sure to put mine in at night since I thought it might make for a calmer transition if they had the "cover of darkness" for the first hours in the tank. All mine have settled in quite nicely now, but it sure was interesting to watch the power struggles for the first weekend....some fish that seemed very submissive in the beginning did a complete turn-around after 24 hours and became quite aggressive (and vice versa). I still couldn't say who the "boss" of the tank is.

Hope it all goes well! Let us know!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #7 
Senshine

I did :) All of them but two were doing well together. The other two were being extremely aggressive as soon as I let them out so I re-cupped them and left them like that for the night. In the morning I let them both out, the one was doing fine but the other was still super aggressive so back in the cup she went. I just let her out again now and she seemed to be doing okay but then of course she started attacking the others again..
The light blue DT girl got the most fin biting overnight.. Her anal fin is pretty torn up, but man has she ever coloured up! She is a darker shiny blue now, so so pretty.
They are enjoying the filter and the cory food lol.