Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #1 
Flyby Stardancer

Ack! What caused this?

So, it'll be one week tomorrow since I got my fishes. In my 5 gallon tank, I had planted it and cycled it fishlessly and it had been cycled for over a week before I got my fish (with me adding ammonia every day to keep the cycle going). The time after it finished growing the bacteria to turn nitrites into nitrates, the stem plants started doing their job and the nitrates were dropping, hitting 0 the day after I got the fish (and that day was a big rush of ammonia, because I had added ammonia not knowing if I would get fish, added Prime at the same time because I knew I was heading to the store, and accidentally added a bit to much ammonia, then the fish later in the day. Still showed 0 across the board the next day).

Well, because everything had been going so well, I pulled water to test yesterday but forgot to actually test it... I pulled water again this morning, and just tested them a few minutes ago. There was an ammonia spike! I was so stupid. :( As soon as the water started getting a greenish tint on one, I ran over and dosed Prime into the tank.

So, yesterday, the ammonia spiked to .5ppm. This morning it was .25ppm. Nitrites and nitrates were both at 0 for both days. What happened??? The tank was fully cycled, and there are a bunch of plants in there to absorb everything! :( That's it, daily testing, with actually testing it immediately after I pull water.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #2 
djembekah

How long did it take tp cycle?
I'm going to bet, however, that the cycle is just trying to catch up with the fish. keep an eye on the fish and the parameters just in case.

is this a tank with one or more bettas?
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #3 
Flyby Stardancer

The first part of the fishless cycle happened almost immediately (dosed up to 1ppm ammonia, tested two days later and it was 0 ammonia with nitrites, continued dosing .5ppm each day after that, to keep the cycle going until there was a fish). Was five days before the nitrites went to 0. Tested 0 for ammonia for four days after adding the fish.

The one betta is currently the only occupant of the tank.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #4 
Flyby Stardancer

Okay, for better understanding of how/when I cycled and water parameters since, I've uploaded a copy of the spreadsheet I use to keep track of it to my Google Drive account. It can be viewed here. The tank in question is under the tab "BF Restart".
Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #5 
Flyby Stardancer

It's kinda a good thing I added Prime instead of just automatically doing a water change. I tested my tap water today (water that had been dechlorinated last night for the babyfish's daily water change, and let to sit at room temp). Ammonia was .5ppm, and nitrates at 20ppm. I would have been adding nitrogen to the system! As it was, today was water change day anyways. We'll see how tomorrow's tests go. There should be enough Prime in there to keep the water safe with whatever happens.