Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #11 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
Specifically the dorsal and anal fins should not greatly exceed the body width
and the caudal fin should not exceed 1/3 of the body length.
It is found at the very top under Plakat Standards. When reading further down under Show Plakat everything stays the same except just a few things not having to do with the anal or dorsal size.

If you aren't interested in traditional plakats it's easy to miss. That's kinda the way the standards are set up though, you have to read the whole thing to see what standard stays the same and what changes between variations.

I am looking at 2010 standards. I went to the IBC website to find the newest standards and I do not see them or a link to them. What's up with that? I know I downloaded them last year when I joined but that was the old website.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 07-20-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #12 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
IBC standards say "3 to 4 times as long as it is deep" for the body length. Then you have to take into consideration the fin width. IBC standards say the caudal should be 1/3 the body length(plakat). All other non-paired fins should match that. Sooo plakats are meant to be more stout. They would then be closer to 3x the body width than 4x the body width standard.
Plakat standards:

Body 3x longer than width
caudal 1/3 length of body
anal and dorsal-not greater than body width(if you go by the above recommendations for body width and caudal length then it is 1/3 the body length so anal, caudal and dorsal would match(from the center of the anal of course) therefore creating a balanced fish.

So a "long" body would be one longer than 4 times the width...I think that would look funny and should be a fault. It looks find on wild types because they have smaller fins and look balanced. It would be nearly impossible for such a long fish to be balanced with plakat fins.
Interesting thank you for that.

Ok so here is my petsmart rescue. Sorry not a good flare photo he was not feeling it during the photo shoot. I think this guy is long I know he has flaws. I am working on fattening him up.

Is he too long? Because he reminds me of a wild betta a bit. His look has grown on me.

Last edited by snowflake311; 07-20-2013 at 10:58 PM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #13 
whatsupyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
It is found at the very top under Plakat Standards. When reading further down under Show Plakat everything stays the same except just a few things not having to do with the anal or dorsal size.

If you aren't interested in traditional plakats it's easy to miss. That's kinda the way the standards are set up though, you have to read the whole thing to see what standard stays the same and what changes between variations.

I am looking at 2010 standards. I went to the IBC website to find the newest standards and I do not see them or a link to them. What's up with that? I know I downloaded them last year when I joined but that was the old website.
Nevermind, you this isn't the place for this discussion. Sorry about that Snowflakes311. I will pm you Ilikebutterflies.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #14 
Ilikebutterflies

He doesn't seem to be too long. I kinda eyeballed it with a pencil but he looks 4x long as wide so not technically tooo long. I like my plakats more stout around the middle. Bulldog-ish but that's just me. You should see the giant I have it the spawn tank now...he's a tank!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #15 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
I read it here
http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABPKproposal.htm

FORM AND FINNAGE FAULTS (ASYMMETRICAL) TRADITIONAL PLAKAT

"13. Body extremely slender comparable to some wildtype Betta species (major fault). "

Maybe this is old or something.
These are not IBC standards...
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote