Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #1 
freedomgladiator

I need some help here

Hi!I have 3 veiltail male betta at 3gal each,with no heaters and no filters and one baby crowtail male at 2gal also no heat,no filters as betta dont need them and it will stress them them.I noticed now that my blue one has fin rot.Maybe i bought him at this situation and didnt noticed because my inexpirience.Now i know a lot about them...i change the water 100% every 3 days.I put Prime conditioner and leave the water about 12-16 hours.How can i heal it?
freedomgladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Bettas most definitely DO need heaters, they come from Thailand where the water is always 76-86 degrees... So unless you keep your house at 82 degrees (water temp is always cooler then room temp) they need heaters. Filters are very beneficial... They remove dangerous waste products and create a stable environment to live in.

My bet is that his fin rot was caused by poor water quality and a low temperature. Get a 25-50w heater for each tank and keep up frequent water changes... This should help a lot. If clean water alone does nothing, you can add 1tsp/g of aquarium salt.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #3 
freedomgladiator

Thanks.I will try with aquarium salt.Put conditioner also?Will it recovers its fins?I read somewhere that it can heal by itself.Now,about filters i wont put any,because its labyrinth fish....they can live under difficult situations.For the heaters i will try with a many Watts lamp,which i have now and maybe buy one at winter.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #4 
registereduser

Greece is a pretty warm climate I think. You may not need heaters but definitely get a thermometer for each tank. That way you can see if the temps are holding steady at 76 or above. If not, then turn on the lamps. Bettas do like some time without lamps, just like we do, so be aware of that.

Temps that plunge then rise often can bring on ich and fin rot so monitor those temps!

Bettas can live under "difficult situations" but better to keep them comfortable and thriving, don't you agree?

PS: don't use aquarium salt for more than 10 days.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Just because they can survive does not mean they will thrive... The fact that they are labarynth fishes does not mean they should be taken worse care of then any other pets. Filters are very beneficial. Believe me, I am very familiar and have plenty of experience with the species.

The first thing to get is a thermometer. Measure the water temperature and tell us what it is... We will be able to make further suggestions. Lamps may not be a great idea... They will fluctuate the heat when you turn it off and they may over heat them.

Don't use salt until after you have given them at least a week with clean, warm water and only if they didnt improve. You add salt along with the water conditioner, and you must predissolve the salt first so you don't burn him.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #6 
registereduser

I have 3 bettas in unfiltered 2.5 gallon tanks. They do fine with frequent 100% water changes. I don't need heaters in the summer but I do in the winter, especially for the nights.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #7 
freedomgladiator

Thank you very much!