Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 
VallejoReaper

Injured? Depressed? Dominated?

I recently purchased a new Betta fish. I already had 2. I had to temporarily put 2 of them (males) together briefly until I got the other tank prepared. In the process one of the fish got bitten by one of the others. Now that they all have separate tanks, they are doing well, with the exception of the one that got bitten. He hangs out at the bottom of the tank and does not move too much. When the tanks are close to each other, the other fish get all riled up, flare, and try to attack each other. This one will run to the side of the tank furthest from the perceived threat. Very timid. Is this fish injured? Do Betta fish withdraw if they have been bitten/dominated? What can I do to help this fish regain some of its vigor?
VallejoReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He's stressed and injured. You should never, ever put two male bettas together. I'm sorry, but it is not surprising at all that he is acting abnormally and IMO you are lucky he's not dead. He honestly would have been better off in his cup until you could get him into his tank.

Can you fill this out just to make sure it is not something else?-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

Like Matt said, the most probable explanation is that the other betta injured him. It's normal for them to sulk after being battered like that. Now that he is separated, he'll heal in good time. Just make sure you keep his water clean to prevent infection and feed him good quality food for regrowth.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-20-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Well for starters I would stop putting the other male's tank up against his tank as this is just going to exacerbate his stress levels.

He is probably just stressed and shocked and needs some time to recover.

Never put two males together even for a short amount of time. They can do extremely serious damage in a matter of minutes. Next time put one of them into a cup or plastic container instead.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #5 
sainthogan

As the others said, you should never put them together, even for a few minutes. Honestly, you're lucky one of them didn't end up dead, that's how violent they can get. If you have to put one in another tank, float him in a container of some sort - don't let him loose. It will be stressful that they can see each other, but at least no one will be injured.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #6 
VallejoReaper

Housing
What size is your tank? Small. Approx. .75-1 Gal
What temperature is your tank? Room temp. Sits on counter in kitchen
Does your tank have a filter? No filter. I was told none should be used with such small tanks
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No. Same as above. I was told an aeration system would not be good for such a small tank
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. I have three small tanks so that each fish has his own space

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta flakes. I am not sure they care for it much. I only give a small amount and they eat only a small amount of it, leaving most for me to clean out
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? About twice a week I change about half of the water, replacing it with conditioned room temp. water.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/3 to 1/2
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A dechlorinating conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Though I have not tested the water in the tanks, I have recently tested our tap water and it's pH is close to neutral to slightly alkaline.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No. His bite did not result in physical injury.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? This guy was never very active to begin with. He was certainly not a very dominate fish and I am assuming he would have died in nature. He is very sluggish now. He has no interest in other fish. Generally hangs out at the bottom of the tank. He seems depressed to me.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago. The 2 Betta's were together in a tank for literally no more than a minute. As I was getting the other tank ready, my wife said that one of them bit the other, and I rushed to separate them.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I keep his tank away from the others to help him stay calm.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately) ? I have only had him for about 3 weeks[/quote]
VallejoReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #7 
Fenghuang

Well, I see a few things that you can do...

Temperature: Bettas are tropical fish. Room temperature is much too cold for them and would slow down their systems and make them sluggish and more susceptible to disease. He would be a lot more active if you get him a heater that can consistently keep his tank heated at around 76-83 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 24-28 degrees Celsius). It would also greatly improve his quality of life.

Tank size: To be honest, your tank is kind of on the small side. For a tank of that size, you should be doing a lot more frequent water changes to keep up with the rate of waste build up. Imo, the amount of maintenance required to keep your fish healthy in a tank that small isn't even worth it. You and your fish (I don't know how large your other two bettas' tanks are, but if they are also in similar containers...) would be much better off if you get a decent size tank (a 10 gallon tank kit with filter and hood from Walmart costs about $30) and divide it for the three of them. Less work and more enjoyment.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #8 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Well, I see a few things that you can do...

Temperature: Bettas are tropical fish. Room temperature is much too cold for them and would slow down their systems and make them sluggish and more susceptible to disease. He would be a lot more active if you get him a heater that can consistently keep his tank heated at around 76-83 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 24-28 degrees Celsius). It would also greatly improve his quality of life.

Tank size: To be honest, your tank is kind of on the small side. For a tank of that size, you should be doing a lot more frequent water changes to keep up with the rate of waste build up. Imo, the amount of maintenance required to keep your fish healthy in a tank that small isn't even worth it. You and your fish (I don't know how large your other two bettas' tanks are, but if they are also in similar containers...) would be much better off if you get a decent size tank (a 10 gallon tank kit with filter and hood from Walmart costs about $30) and divide it for the three of them. Less work and more enjoyment.
^ this
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote