Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #1 
SingSangSung

Exclamation OMG i'm scard :(

My better is breathing havely and then so suddently his body buffed up and he let out bunch of bubbles through his gills!! is he okay? this happened twice... he still breath havey and as usual bottom of tank. but his movement got little werid... he digs coner of tank and moves violenly. like he saw another betta.... i dont know what's wrong. i did 50% water change on thursday. i only turns on filter about 10hours during the day and turns off at night. oh and he spited out the food i gave him. x( and water temp is normal. any idea why he is doing werid stuff??
SingSangSung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #2 
SingSangSung

Quick question: the tape is toxic to fish? how about paper?? they make fish water toxic when those items put into aquarium?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

Do not turn off the filter...ever. Unless you are dosing meds which instruct you to turn off the filter.

Do not put anything into the water unless it says "aquarium safe."
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Do not turn off the filter...ever. Unless you are dosing meds which instruct you to turn off the filter.

Do not put anything into the water unless it says "aquarium safe."
OH that explains why.... :/ oopssy
Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Could you perhaps fill out this form? The more information you can give the better and easier we can understand and help out. ;)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

And +1 about the decor and the filter...its really not a good idea to use anything in your tank that isn't proven to be aquarium safe. Depending on the tape, it could in fact be leeching toxins into the water that could be harming your guy, and though I imagine paper wouldn't hold up in water at all if its colored paper it could be leeching dye and other chemicals used in its making. Best remove anything tape/paper in the tank and do a full 100% water change, rinse everything well, set everything back up and add your water conditioner and then slowly acclimate(float him in his cup or a container for a while, then every five minutes or so pour a little bit of his water in the container out into a sink or other container and add a little of the fresh water in. Repeat this several times, and then slowly let him go in the tank)your guy back into the tank. Try to get as little of the 'old' water from his cup into the tank as possible.

And about the filter....its best to either leave it on or take it out all together really. If your tank is smaller then 5 gallons, I'd suggest just taking it out all together as it can often be a little more difficult to establish and maintain a stable Cycle in such a small tank, but if its over 5 gallons I'd say go ahead and leave it on, baffle it(I can elaborate if needed), and do a little research on the Nitrogen cycle for fish tanks(I can provide some links if you like).
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #6 
SingSangSung

Ohhhh i better go to petsmart and buy gravel vaccum and bucket x(
Old 07-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #7 
SingSangSung

My betta got sucked up into filter so i turned it off and naver going to turn it on again.... bettas do get stuck into the filter like goldfishes do?? -___-
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #8 
Micho

Your filter must be really strong then. . Bettas are weak swimmers, even the smallest currents can disrupt their swimming, and usually push them away.

He must have a hard time swimming when your filter was on, and the tape might've have done something, since tape has glue on it, it might've dissolved into the water making it toxic, not sure though.

Since you didn't fill out the form which list all the specifications for your fish and your fish tank it's hard to determine what was wrong with him.

I'm assuming he's dead since he got sucked into the filter. . .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #9 
SingSangSung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Your filter must be really strong then. . Bettas are weak swimmers, even the smallest currents can disrupt their swimming, and usually push them away.

He must have a hard time swimming when your filter was on, and the tape might've have done something, since tape has glue on it, it might've dissolved into the water making it toxic, not sure though.

Since you didn't fill out the form which list all the specifications for your fish and your fish tank it's hard to determine what was wrong with him.

I'm assuming he's dead since he got sucked into the filter. . .
No way!!! his alive :( and i will fill out the form right now
Old 07-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #10 
shushcat

My betta, Eris, had a problem where he was sickly and had bubbles coming out of his gills every once in a while. What cured that was an aquarium salt treatment and making sure his stress levels remain low. No one can really advise an exact treatment plan without that form filled out, but you're going to want to make sure you have aquarium salt handy anyway.

And honestly, if your filter is tossing your betta around or making it hard for him to swim, just skip it and make sure you do regular water changes (the right way!). You'll find plenty of articles on this forum about that!
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote