Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #1 
BittyB

Bettas with Shrimp

Was wondering who else keeps shrimp here with good results.

So I have a ghost shrimp tank and out of curiosity I put some in my bettas tank to clean our the bottom for a few hours then put them back in with the rest and to see if he is really territorial or whatever....

He seems to actually like them. He likes watching what they're doing and follows them around so I think those 2 will stay in there.

BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #2 
Asira

My Amy ate almost all my cherry shrimp I could only save 2... But now they live in a new tank with a lot more shrimp.
She looked at them and it seemed to be friendly, but the next day (Amy began doing this after about +-12 hours) she began chewing and eating them like it was only 'candy' for her, I feel really sorry for them :(
But maybe your bettas won't do that? (I really hope so for you) Maybe bettas only do that with cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp are a different story?
Asira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #3 
happypappy

It depends. I have several bettas that have lived with ghost shrimp for months; others disappear the shrimp in a couple of days. In my community tank where I have a sorority, I saw one of the females swimming around with a shrimp tail in her mouth! Depends on your betta's temperament.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #4 
LittleDeer

My boy ate five ghost shrimp in about a week and a half. So I wouldn't put them with him anymore. He didn't really mind them at first but then they disappeared one by one and I watched him kill and eat the last one.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #5 
Viva

Smaller shrimp like Ghost and Cherry shrimp are more likely to be eaten. Cherry shrimp especially because they're so bright. My ghost shrimp never made it more than a week or two with any of my bettas. My Amanos are doing great though. They are bigger than RCS and Ghosts but they look very similar to ghost shrimp except that they have brown spots/markings on them.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #6 
shannonpwns

I have ghost shrimp in with my bettas, and have had no issues so far. Maybe keeping your Betta distracted with toys, like a ping pong ball, might give him something to do and leave the shrimp alone. And of course keep them well fed haha.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

+1 Happypappy. Depends on Betta's temperament. I have had RCS successfully with Si for four months or more with no issues. They eat out in the open and do not hide. Even had shrimplets with no problems. Also have CPOs and Thai Micro Crabs with Si and haven't lost any.

Willie, however, is the Assassin Betta when it comes to inverts.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #8 
Viva

So basically the only way to know for sure is to throw the shrimp in and see if they live, lol.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

That's it in a nutshell.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #10 
BittyB

Haha Basically so Viva. Trial and error. That's why I started with ghost shrimp. They're 50 cents, not $3. And I got bigger ghost shrimp....these are the same size as the Amanos at the store. As you can see, that one in the pic has about similar length to the bettas body.

They've been in there and now he just kinda doesnt pay much attention to them and if happens to swim by one, he turns around trying not to touch them. One accidentally fell on his head and startled him.

We will see though. This has been week 1 and nothing. I figured it might be fine since my betta doesnt even like to eat large pellets, I crush them up that I figured he wouldnt try to take a bite out of them.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote