Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #11 
Eggbert

I have RCS in my 10 g divided smaller ones get eaten here and there, but with a ton of coverage. theres about 10-12 RCS in there and they are quick. I think my bettas distracting one another, plant coverage and hiding spots help as well. 6+ months strong now. Also they breed easily.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #12 
Tabby216

I had mine with two amano shrimp she did great with them. Ignored everything they did except food. I cannot leave her alone with algae wafers now because she constantly hordes the food to herself. Think about temperament and eating habits...
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #13 
scootshoot

Trial and error. My very large Veil Tail male is in a 15 gallon with about 30+ cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp. This tanks been going on well over a year. He completely ignores em, although am sure the odds improved since he was introduced to this tank as the runt of the litter as a guppy fry lookin Petco Betta baby so he's accustomed to the shrimp tank mates.

My crowntail sitting solo in a 5 who is much smaller than the veiltail will gobble the shrimp up without hesitation.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #14 
BittyB

I feel like this is a stupid question, but do the various shrimp species do fine together? I've wondered about putting various varietals in my shrimp tank than just the ghost shrimp in there. I tried googling this question and cannot find much talk about it.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Different shrimp have different requirements.

The easiest of the dwarf shrimp are the Neocaridina. They can be kept together because they all require the same parameters. However, they will interbreed and you could wind up with a bunch of mud-colored shrimp. Neocardina are Red Cherry, Yellow, Blue Velvet, Blue Pearl, Orange, Rili, etc.

Caridina, such as Red Crystal and Black Crystal, are more sensitive to parameters and much harder to keep. They can be in the same tank but will also interbreed. Since black is dominant, you most likely would get mostly black shrimp.

Caridina and Neocardina will not interbreed; but their parameters are different so, IMO, you'd be shortchanging one if you set the parameters for the other.

I have kept various Neos together because I don't care if they interbreed since I'm not going to sell them, anyway. I gave the offspring away.

Hope that answers your question.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #16 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyB View Post
I feel like this is a stupid question, but do the various shrimp species do fine together? I've wondered about putting various varietals in my shrimp tank than just the ghost shrimp in there. I tried googling this question and cannot find much talk about it.
Aside from species requirements in terms of water parameters, etc. only issue you are going to run into is if they will cross breed with one another.

Google "shrimp interbreed" for a chart.

For beginners / intermediate, can't go wrong with Ghost and Cherry shrimp, they are very hardy and are interesting to watch. Just add lots of live plants so they feel secure / graze on. Mine love grazing on java moss.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote