Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 
Mitra

Transferring my cycled betta to new tank

Hi I have a 3 gallon cycled and heated tank with plants but I just got a 10 gallon tank. Do I have to buy another filter and let it cycle before I add my betta? I dont wanna put my betta through another cycle (I have a sponge filter in the 3 gallon tank). Is re-cycling this one my only option? I heard that once you cycle one tank you will never have to cycle another tank, how would I do that method? Is this method safe to add the betta to right away? Thank you.

PS: I am adding two african dwarf frogs to the 10 gallon with my betta. My betta flares at anything I put up to him (except my face). My fingers, any object he will flare at. Does this mean it is likely that he will be aggressive towards the fish. I know i will not know for sure until I try but is it more likely?

Last edited by Mitra; 07-19-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Add the existing filter and/or filter media to the new tank, use all of the substrate, plants, decorations, etc. Also use the tank water. When you say sponge filter you mean an actual sponge filter or that you have sponge media? If its sponge media, put that into your new filter & if its the sponge filter then you'll want to run both filters on the new tank if possible. The new tank will most likely have a mini cycle even with doing all of this but it shouldn't be bad & shouldn't be more than a few days.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #3 
rickey
Banned

Don't clean any thing in the three gallon right now and transfer every thing over to the ten gallon (filter, plants, rocks, substrate) anything you can move over. You are adding Bioload with the frogs so you may see some spike in ammonia and nitrite by it should be short lived.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #4 
Mitra

Yes i do have an actual sponge filter. So if i transfer everything over the betta will not be under too much stress for the couple of days? I have prime too.
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

It will depend on your Betta but there should be little to no stress since you are moving over all the things he is used to. I have some Bettas who could care less about being moved from one tank to another & others who literally pout for a day or two. One of my males gets mad if I re-arrange his tank so . . . Just treat the new tank as if it's cycling by testing daily for around a week or so, do a water change if ammonia/nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >20. Also, once you transfer everything to the new tank make the NEW water is conditioned before you put it into the tank, that'll help save your BB.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote