Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #1 
Ezzie

2 females- 10 gallons, need opinions on what to do.

Today while at the pet store, I naturally looked at the bettas, they had 2 really pretty girls who looked nice and healthy together with 4-5 other females, I couldn't leave them there looking stressed (heavily striped) so I bought them home.

Now I KNOW its almost impossible to keep just 2 females together without issues in a 10 gallon tank, and I knew this coming into this situation BUT since I was looking into building a sorority tank within this year I figured we can keep them until the new tanks complete.

The tank itself is pretty heavily naturally planted 10 gallon currently with 2 filters (the second HOB filter will be used for the new tank) and its a 'cube' shape, not ideal situation!

So, I have a few options.

A) leave them in the tank. I noticed one was chasing and flaring at the second female so she's clearly dominant, however there was no fighting just showing off from female one, female two was pretty much ignoring her. If this option is chosen they will be monitored closely! I'm pretty sure both are siblings being the same size and simar colours.

B) put the more dominat female in a breeder net I have but still inside the tank.
Allowing interactions between the net but no chance of fighting.

C) remove female 1 into her own tank (which requires me to buy another small tank, costly and not my most wanted option)

I really want to avoid the bashings and lectures about having 2 females in this tank, like I said before, I KNOW its dangerous and without risks, I'm simply asking for what people's thoughts are on what to do now I'm in the situation!
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #2 
tigerhappy26

Don't put them both in at the same time.I did that with my two females but the more dominant one tore the others fins and nearly killed her so now they're in separate tanks.I would suggest getting a divider or separate tank until you get a sorority
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #3 
Lamb

Or you can make/buy a divider. :)

You can do A, and if they do end up fighting, then you can do a divider until you get 2 more or the sorority tank is finished.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 
Ezzie

Thanks for the fast replies! Originally the tank there currently in will become a single male dwarf gourami tank (I don't have the fish yet) but I couldn't resist the sad desperat betta fish eyes. We're all guilty of it ;)

Ill see what I can do with some kind of divider, there usually not as available or easy to find in Australia (I would have to somehow make one from mesh or something), for now ill use the breeder net if they are still showing off to each other.

Also this is what the tank looks like (please note the PLATIES were JUST to keep the cycle going while I waited to stock it, they have been rehomed to my mums big community tank and my cycle is 99% complete!!)
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #5 
Lamb

There are some links for making one out of blank canvas (for needle art) and suction cups or report binders. :)
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #6 
shellieca

If this is only temporary I would use the breeder net. I had to put 3 of my females into a 5g hospital tank, one female is like Switzerland . . . neutral, the other two . . . not so much so I put one of the problem children into a breeder box then every couple of days switch them around. If yours are doing nothing more than some chasing & neither female appears to be stressed out leave them as the are but keep a VERY close eye on them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #7 
snowflake311

Dividers are so easy to make. Don't waste time buying one when you can make a custom one. I use 2.5mm acrylic cut to size . you could leave it clear it looks better that way. but I spray paint it black with safe paint lots of people even reef keepers use Krylon Fusion for aquatic use with no problems.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #8 
Ezzie

I decided to put the dominant girl in the breeder net, when I came home from work I noticed the other girl had some rips in her fins, wether or not that was from before seeming she was clamped I'm not sure but I separated the other just in case. :) there only small still so a breeder net is huge for her! It takes up a good chunk of my tank haha! Thanks for all the replies! I sure have a lot of research into sororities but since I've kept aggressive cichlids these girls should be a breeze ;)
Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #9 
Ezzie

Checked on the fish this morning and female one (lets call her Red since thats her colour) whos in the breeder net has made a bubble nest What.. i didn't know females made bubble nests. Its not as "much" as a males but its certainly there. Ill eventually put her into a smaller container to get some photos of her.

Female two, lets call her Miss Blue, is much happier now exploring her new home, Her stress bars have also gone Shes a lot more shy then Red and takes her time to come to the top of the tank but at least she ate.
It could be that its a high light tank, i should look into getting some nice floating plants to block some of the light but im afraid those on the bottom wont receive enough!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #10 
shellieca

Glad to hear the good news. Yep some females will blow small bubble nests sometimes. I have floating plants & my lower plants do just fine. I make sure they're not too bunched up & I move them around from time to time .
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote