Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 
Lena N

2 pop eyes

My Betta Blueno was stressed the day before because of being moved (he hates to be touched). Yesterday I added carbon to filter to clearn water and made 40% WC. Water parameters ok today but it seems he has his eyes poped ifrom noon like white glasses sort of. He always problems with eyes to be big but the problem would go away all the time. I do not want to lose him now as I just lost his buddy Cherryk. What do you think is possible to do about his eyes? I really want to do smth to prevent anything dangerous. Thank you

5 G tank planted, devided with 4 baby otocinclus
Gave him some frozen blood warms today even less than to my other fishes
Temp 78F(heater)
The ziccini stayed overnight in water for ottos, but I checked water everything fine...
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
nITRATES not more than 5

Last edited by Lena N; 07-19-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

Can you get a photo of him Lena?
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #3 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
can you get a photo of him lena?
Name:  2013-07-19_235851.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  37.0 KB
Name:  2013-07-19_235906.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  33.8 KBName:  2013-07-19_235837.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  63.4 KB
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #4 
logisticsguy

Ok it looks like classic popeye. This condition is a symptom not a disease. Right now we don't know what the source is but it could be bacterial or parasitic. This is best treated with a broad spectrum anti biotic. The most common cause is poor water quality and you may need to look further as to why that is. I wouldn't leave veggies in a tank very long that me be the cause but Im not sure. Maracyn 2 is a good med for treating this but imo kanaplex would work better. Was anything new introduced to aquarium that hadn't been quarantined? as that could be a possible cause as well. Good luck lena with medication he should have a full recovery.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #5 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Ok it looks like classic popeye. This condition is a symptom not a disease. Right now we don't know what the source is but it could be bacterial or parasitic. This is best treated with a broad spectrum anti biotic. The most common cause is poor water quality and you may need to look further as to why that is. I wouldn't leave veggies in a tank very long that me be the cause but Im not sure. Maracyn 2 is a good med for treating this but imo kanaplex would work better. Was anything new introduced to aquarium that hadn't been quarantined? as that could be a possible cause as well. Good luck lena with medication he should have a full recovery.
Thank you very much logisticsguy. I have Maracyn 2. Do you think I should treat him right away or to wait couple days maybe he will feel better.
The only thing new I am thinking is carbon cartreege and otos which i have for 2 weeks. I am afraid I will have to return otos to stores, I love these guys so much but they eat all algue and I am afraid they will starve. That is why I try to keep food in water for them.
But as I said before he had it long ago, only it improoved itself. I think I may also overfed him this time and that caused his eyes to pop up.
I tested water again last night (APi tests) - really good water.
The question is shoud I use the antibiotics or to wait a little?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

I would do a 50-70% water change (It never hurts to do a water change imo)then start the Maracyn 2 treatment as soon as possible. On the bright side if you returned the otos to the store you would have room for another betta maybe. I like otos but not as much as betta lol. Good luck with Blueno I have a betta named Spaz that looks so much like him.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would keep up the large water changes and add 1 tsp/g of pure, unscented Epsom salts (100% magnesium sulphate). I'm firmly against using antibiotics if there are any other things to try.

Especially since you said he had it before and it corrected itsself, I would wait about a week until you start dosing antibiotics. During this time, though, do large water changed and add Epsom salts.

Btw, Epsom salts are not harmful to plants and may even act like a fertilizer.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #8 
logisticsguy

I agree with Matt that Epson salt can be helpful. This is why I recommended anti biotics explained here.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...on/popeye.aspx

Popeye is difficult to treat in fish because it consists of three different sets of problems. First there is damage to the cornea. Next there is accumulation of fluid behind the fish’s eyeball, and finally there is an opportunistic bacterial infection.
Minor damage to the cornea can improve over time, assuming the fish is provided with optimal water conditions and a balanced, vitamin-rich diet.
Swelling of the fish’s eye will diminish with time, assuming the fish is healthy in other regards, and is provided with optimal water conditions and a healthy diet. Epsom salt helps to reduce swelling when used at a dose of 1 to 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons. While Epsom salt can be used in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums, fish are best treated this way in a quarantine tank rather than the main display aquarium.
Antibiotics and antibacterials similar to those used to treat fin rot are useful in preventing damage to the cornea from turning into full-blown popeye. But once popeye develops, different medications will be required. Use antibiotics formulated for use against internal and systemic infections, preferably administered in food rather than added to the water.

If you have any IAL it would help as well. If you want to just do Epson salts it would be fine but daily water changes for 10 days with the salt treatment would be most effective.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 07-20-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #9 
Lena N

Ok, thank you guys a lot! I will buy epsom salt today. The big problem - to put him in salt I need to catch him and he is very stressed right now (runing away sometimes and hiding begind driftwood), I am afraid if i start catching him he will feel worse because it will be more stress. I will do water change right now.
Thank you again!

Wher do I buy epsom salt, in Wallmart????
What is IAL?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually Epsom salt won't hurt plants and actually is used very often as plant fertilizer in gardens so it's safe to use with your plants in the tank. I know that's a concern for you. And yes, you can find it at Wal-mart in the pharmacy section, most likely in first aid section.

IAL is Indial Almond Leaf and has minor antibiotic properties which is good You can also use a dried oak leaf if you know that pesticides and insectcides have NOT been sprayed around that tree. Then you can just wash it off under tap and plop it into the tank.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote