Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #1 
WitchlingMinerva

Exclamation Filter current is still to strong!

I got Ciel a new tank today and it came with a filter. I got everything set up and as soon as I put him in I knew the current was too strong. I also noticed that the intake was sucking in his fins. I unplugged it right away. I've put pantyhose over the intake and even made the homemade filter baffle, but the current is still to strong. I did make sure to have the filter set as low as it will go. What else is there that can reduce the current?!!!!
WitchlingMinerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

What brand or type of filter?

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #3 
WitchlingMinerva

It's a Penn-Plax Cascade power filter.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 
cowboy

I'm not familiar with too many filters but in my fluval spec I blocked the stream of water coming out by a tall silk plant
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #5 
WitchlingMinerva

I unfortunately don't have any tall silk plants at the moment and the closest place that would have those is 2 hour away.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #6 
rickey
Banned

Take the intake tube off the filter an take it with you to one of the big box hardware stores go to the plumbing dept and find a plumbers washer that fit the intake tube tight and reduces the inside diameter by 1/3 to 1/2 and install it between the strainer and the intake tube that does it every time. May want to buy washer with a few different sizes of inside holes so can figure out how much you need to reduce the size. I buy them in blister packages with assorted sizes. Couple of buck

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #7 
cowboy

Oh, that sucks. I also tried a black foam that had holes in it and it worked really good. I however removed it because Hagen said it may or may not reduce the life of the pump. Other than those two things I don't know. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #8 
cowboy

Hmm I may try your suggestion too Rick. I had a micro little fishes ball valve however Hagen also thumbed down my idea. Yours just may be the best solution. Once in a while the plant moves and I'm left with an annoyed fish
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #9 
WitchlingMinerva

Big box hardware stores? I have never heard that term before. There's an Ace Hardware in town, so I'll check there. My mom's going to Des Moines tomorrow, so I might be able to convince her to go to Petco or Petsmart and get a couple silk plants. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #10 
cowboy

If you go to my albums and look under sushi I think you may see the silk plant on the right. Big box stores aka Home Depot, etc. it just means a large chain store like a Walmart. Let us know how it works

Tags
current, filter