Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #1 
Madi92

Companions

I wasn't really sure how to title this, so any way I'm a new betta owner . I've had my little guy chandler for a little over 2 months now. And I love him he is so fun to watch and I love all the bubble nests he makes. But I was wondering about companions for him. I was looking into snails but people say there really messy , and also some kind of shrimp. But I herd some eat them. And chandler is kind of curious , so I feel like he might be too curious with the shrimp. Any other options. ( by the way and PLEASE nobody tell me I'm a fish murdere and all that stupid stuff about fish in a 1 gallon, but yes that's what I have, and by the way he is doing perfectly fine, and I have had no problems so please no rude comments on how I'm horrible and need a bigger tank. Sometimes I hate telling people, and yes I know he should be in something bigger and I would love that for him. But my mom said no!!! I'm still trying to talk her into something a little bigger possible a 2.5 or 3 gallon tank, but I don't know if she'll budge so sorry.) and also I was looking into all girl sororities , I know I would probably need a bigger tank but as I stated above I'm trying to talk ,y mom into it. So if I got a sorority what is the smallest tank size I could get hoping somewhere in the 2-3 gallon range, and howmany bettas can I get in the smallest tank size. Also would a female be okay by herself, or not, and what are some companions for females that males can't have, and al well would females eat shrimp. Thanks for reading this and I can't thank you enough for trying to help me. Please get back to me soon. I love bettas so much and will probably never go back to any other fish again, but I really want to give my betta some companionship. Because I'm in school and all and aren't home to pay him attention.

And here is a picture of chandler aqurium, and as you can see he's happy but ready to explore new friends
Attached Images

Madi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #2 
Seki

Okay, it's a bit hard to sort through your text, but I think these are the key points.
1) You want a companion for your male betta, who is in a 1 gallon tank.
2) You want a larger tank, possibly a 2 or 3 gallon.
3) You want to start a sorority.

My responses would be as follows:
1) Your male betta can't have a companion in a 1 gallon tank. No one is calling you a fish murderer (which I see you addressing in every post you make), and IMO a 1 gallon tank is fine as long as you keep up with water changes (2x per week... one 50% and one 100%), but it is too small for anything other than one betta alone. If you wanted snails or shrimp, you'd need to get a larger tank.
2) Awesome, I totally encourage you to get a larger tank! My personal minimum for a permanent living space is 2.5 gallons. I have two fish in 2.5 gallon tanks and one fish in a 3 gallon tank right now and they are happy as can be. If your mother will let you get a larger tank, definitely go for it! Petsmart sells a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium with a glass canopy for something like $15.
3) A sorority needs to be a minimum of 10 gallons and 4 girls. Anything smaller than that simply isn't fair to the fish and will end in ripped fins, stressed fish, and possibly death. My advice would be to focus on your male for the time being.

You have a very handsome boy there! But it looks like your tank doesn't have a heater or a thermometer to monitor the temperature. Your boy also looks a little clamped, possibly from stress. Bettas are tropical, so their tanks should be kept in the 76-82 degree range, and their temperature should be kept as constant as possible. I'd recommend getting a heater for your little guy before you worry about tankmates. Also, male bettas aren't really social fish. I promise, he's not lonely. He likes being the king of his castle!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #3 
Madi92

Thanks so much for all your advice , and actually I have a question on heaters. I did research before I got my betta and had mixed answer on weather or not to hear a one gallon so I thought I would wait. But now that you brought it up I might get one. To have one in suggestion. Also I know of the usual heater that just suction cups to the wall of the tanks, but I've read up a couple times on line of people using unter tank heating mats, like the ones reptiles use. Have you ever herd of that and do you think it would work just wondering. But ya I'm gonna try to make my mom take me out ASAP to get some kind of heater and thermometer, as well as look into the idea of a bigger tank ( she's really just worried that it will be to hard and messy to clean if its to big) but thanks again for replying and I will take all of your advice into consideration
Madi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #4 
Seki

You're very welcome! I love to help when I can!

Heating a one gallon is difficult because you definitely don't want to overheat. In my 1 gallon hospital tank I have an adjustable 25 watt heater set to its lowest setting. I do have to monitor it though, as it does spike the temp sometimes. They sell mini heaters for small tanks but I have never used one. I know some people like the 10 watt Marina betta heater. Also, I'm sorry but I don't know anything about reptile heaters.

ETA: one gallon tanks are actually more work than, say, a five gallon. You do less water changes with larger, cycled tanks.

Last edited by Seki; 07-20-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote