Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #1 
Seki

Picked these up on a whim...

I was at Pet Supplies Plus today to pick up some new bulbs for my aquarium when I stumbled across their clearance section. Ohhhh, how I wanted to clean them out of ALL their clearance items. But I was good and only picked up a silk plant because I wanted something new for my QT tank (yep, I even decorate the QT tanks... cannot stand bare tanks).

But as I was leaving the aisle, I saw something else on clearance that caught my eye... brine shrimp eggs. They were on sale for $3, so I grabbed a tube and bought it on a whim. Now... I'm not entirely sure what I purchased. I know BBS are a staple food of breeders all over, and I am looking to get into breeding at some point in the next year or so. But is this where you guys get your brine shrimp? I had always read about "cultures" of brine shrimp, so... are these useless? Like I said, these were purchased on a whim and were on clearance... so if I wasted $3, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

If they're not useless... how do I set up a hatchery? I'm not breeding yet, so they're kinda useless to me at the moment (unless my adults would like them... in which case I would totally hatch a batch for them lol), but I'd like to know for future reference. The brand is San Francisco Bay Brand, and they came in a little tube.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
Seki

No one can help?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 
Beezu

stick them in the fridge until you want to hatch them. theres a lot of how-tos out there for making brine shrimp hatcheries with 2liter soda bottles. its really pretty easy. i give my baby bettas brine shrimps. they love them. i had a tetra that loved them too

Also, a wee bit go a LONG way.

i misread the instructions and hatched like 5 times what i needed which was like a teaspoon of eggs.
Beezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

This is how I set up my BBS hatchery. I just use a large 1.5L jar and an air stone.

I'm not really exact with how much salt/bicarb soda/water I use. I probably use more salt and bicarb than necessary but I want a faster hatching time so I figure the more the merrier.

You really need the jar to be heated. I run mine in a tank that has a heater, but if your jar is big enough you can just stick a small heater in there.

I just run my airstone straight from the pump without any valves or anything. You want the BBS eggs moving around constantly and this way it gets everything going.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #5 
Seki

Okay, I need to keep them refrigerated? They were sold in the store without being refrigerated, so I haven't had them in the fridge... are they probably dead now?

I don't have a jar, but I have a spare 1 gallon bowl. Could I use that? I also have a 7.5 watt preset heater, would that be okay to use? I'd like to experiment with these and know that I can hatch them before I start breeding so that my fry don't starve lol. Plus, I figure my fish might enjoy a treat of live BBS.

Also, I don't have any experience with air stones or air pumps or anything. How do I set that up?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

They're already preserved in their eggs, putting them in the fridge just stalls time for a few months or so. A gallon bowl should be just fine, some people even use 1-2 liter soda bottles for their hatcheries. The heater should be okay, a lamp that can produce heat will be sufficient as well. Will the heater keep the temperature stable? Most presets won't do that.

As for the aeration, just connect the air tubing to the aerator/air pump on one end, and then connect the other end to the air stone. Place the air stone in the hatchery and connect the plug to the outlet. Viola, done.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #7 
Seki

Ah, good, they're still viable, then? I was worried I had messed up by not refrigerating. I'm really curious about these things, so I'll probably run out and get an air pump, airstone, and some tubing tomorrow so I can maybe try to hatch a little batch for my fishies to munch on. It's alright to give them as a treat to adult bettas, right?

Also, if I were to start breeding in the next few months, do you think this little tube would be enough to feed the fry from one spawn until they are old enough for something a bit larger? Or do you think this won't be quite enough?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, they'll work fine. Well, based on what I've read about them that is. ^^" Yes, tons of people use them as treats. Just put in a small drop, that seems to be plenty.And how big is the tube? It should be fine. As Beezu said, a little goes a long way.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #9 
Seki

Mm, the tube says it is 6 grams. Metrics... gah. I'm an English teacher, dangit, not a math teacher! It's about 3 inches long? It's literally packed to the top with these itty-bitty eggs. ^_^
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

You could just buy some once you're half way done. :D