Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #1 
FishCat13

Petsmart Female Betta Age?

At petsmart today checking out prices, managed to refrain from buying an actual fish yet (probably would've caved if I hadn't had someone with me). I just noticed that the female bettas were so small, particularly compared with the males they had on the same shelf, and I was curious as to how old they actually are.

I know they get much larger, because my last betta, Desdemona (RIP) was a much larger female, at least twice the size of these girls.

I would guess these fish were maybe 3/4 of an inch in length, tops. Wish I had thought to take a picture. They were larger than the "PetCo Baby Betta" fish I saw in another post, though (I can't even imagine how small those fish are).

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how old these fish typically are when they're sold at petsmart?
FishCat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 
DragonFish

I've noticed this too with the girls in both Petco and Petsmart. I always figured they just shipped them out younger since they didn't have to wait for their colors to pop out like they generally do with the flashier boys(though I've come across some VERY young boys, ones that couldn't have been older then four months....but generally most of the boys you'll find are in the 5-7 month range).

I'd probably put these girls around 3-4 months of age. I can't imagine them being too much older then four months, though any younger then three and we're getting into the baby betta size range I'd say.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #3 
LittleDeer

I got mine at about 3/4 in and I estimated them to be about 3 months old at purchase. They were also from a brand new shipment.

The females are usually 3-4 months, males usually 5-6 upon arrival.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #4 
Namialus

Same here. I went to Petsmart once and walked over to the bettas and they had this extremely small female. She was so cute. :P
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Females usually sit in the store longer. I would say most females usually have been there for at least several months before they are bought, or pass away.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #6 
AltheaGlyndwr

All my lady fish (except for maybe the very first new one) were very much so new shipment! Some of them even that day.. One of them was huge, the one I think was sitting for a while was super skinny with torn fins but she's seince been fattening up and healing, and all the other girls were around the same size, not too small, but by no means big. Almost all of them were super flashy colors so I can't imagine they'd have sat for much longer if I'd left them. Anyway, that is an interesting thing to think on! Maybe I'll start noticing a little bot of growth in them? Gosh... maybe I've been so distracted by my baby girl to notice! Oh wow~ :D But really... super young, some of the girls I saw were the same size as my baby is now... and she's almost 3 months as far as I can judge... :(
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote