Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #1 
Stone

Betta-fix/mela-fix/pima-fix

Ok I am going to open this up, I have seen countless people post about these specific meds and saying they are dangerous for bettas, I have used all of these products on bettas and yep 100% success rate, none of the bettas died and it worked and cured them of minor fin rot, open sores, fungus infections and so on, I have done research on these products and have even contacted API about them and so far I have found ZERO proof that these products are harmful in any way to betta or any other fish when used at the right dosage and for the right problems all I have ever seen is anecdotal evidence of any of these products killing betta fish, "I used bettafix and my fish died", well In my 20 years of fish keeping experience people often use the wrong med for the problem, bettafix will only work on gram positive infections, most fish infections are gram negative, but most might start out with a gram positive that get infected with a gram negative from being untreated, even API reccomends useing betta fix in conjunction with pimafix, bot of these meds are organic in nature and can be used safely together. pimafix is for gram negative infections, but still only for minor stuff it will not work on columnarius or any other serious infection.

Ok so back to the "evidence" I have seen that any of these products kill fish, it is usually someone who treated a fish with these products and the fish died, so if I am going to make a comparison I can say AQ salt kills battas, I have treated a few with AQ salt and they have died so AQ salt kills bettas, which is actually more true of a statement, with bettas some species are actually less salt tolerant than others, the bettas most of us buy we have no clue if they are bred down from the less salt tolerant ones, so yes too high of a dose of aq salt might just, but what I just personally posted about AQ salt is anecdotal which means I jumped to a conclusion without any real evidence no scientific evidence, the same as all the people who claim the "fix" products kill battas.

The number one cause of fish deaths is.........over feeding, the number one cause of death for sick fish is.........overdosing with meds/ using the wrong meds. I even have overdosed a fish by not double checking my math on dosage, it can easily happen.

Now lets let the debate start I am accepting REAL scientific proof of bettafix/melafix/pimafix killing bettas, this means something that is NOT anecdotal, If I want to hear what masterbettakeeper007 thinks about these products I can look it up easily, I as of yet have seen ZERO proof these products are harmful, I am sure API one of the most trusted names in the aquarium hobby would love to see this proof as well,

Last edited by Stone; 07-20-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

When I "advise" about it I say "it has been reported" or "others have said". Scientific no. But I've found that most advice given is not backed by scientific evidence but people's experiences same as I don't see any scientific proof in your post. If your experience has been positive & you're comfortable using it then its your choice to continue doing so. I've used it in the past with no adverse effects.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #3 
Stone

In my experience people do post it as fact, they even go as far as saying it will coat the labyrinth organ with oil "tea tree oil" which for that to happen it would have to not dissolve into the water and you would see it floating on the surface, I am doing this to inform people, these product are perfectly safe to use if dosed properly like any and all meds, are easy to get work as they should,I will bet no one will have proof otherwise, API has been selling these products for a good amount of time, they would not keep a product on the market so they could sucker people into killing their fish.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #4 
Polkadot

My comment has no scientific proof one way or the other,so I can't add to the topic in that way,but I just wanted to comment about my own experience using Bettafix.Quite a while ago I thought my little boy Peanut had finrot and was advised at the petstore to use Bettafix.I added it to his tank and kept an eye on him.That night I was on the computer and read up on Bettafix to see other people's opinions etc and saw both good & bad reviews.When I read about people saying that it can harm the labyrinth organ I was scared & panicked big time.I know you can't believe everything you read but I just couldn't take the chance that it was true.I took my little boy out of his tank and changed the water.But I ended up having to change everything & pretty much start his tank over again as the Bettafix stuck to everything inside the tank like honey,the smell from the tea tree oil was very strong & made the top of the water very frothy,all just after one dose.Any way,I ending up using API Stress Coat which fixed his little fins in no time.I agree that API is a great brand,and I wouldn't think they would have Bettafix on the market if it was dangerous for Bettas,especially as it is made especially for them.But I just wasn't sure & didn't chance it just incase.In saying that though I have never had a problem with other API products like Stress Coat & Stress Zyme,both of which I find to be very gentle & good to use.But I must say that I did panick about the Bettafix after reading comments re the labyrinth organ and that scared me enough to stop using it.I too would like to see scientific proof either way if it does affect the labyrinth organ,as of course it is extremely important to know definitely if it is safe or not.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #5 
Stone

I will say it can be stinky and yes it does make the water foam, I have used all these products safely and with 100% success which is like 50 or more time for various things but mostly for minor finrot or one of the girls from the sorority who got a bit beat up, In my experience with meds for fish people will either use the wrong med or overdose, we even overdose ourselves with meds, think about how many tylynols/advils you take I usually take 1 or 2 more than they say you should
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #6 
registereduser

I have used bettafix with no problems and with success. I would use it over AQ salt any day. I never had it coat the water or deco. On the other hand, stress coat DOES create a thick coating of gunk over everything! But I love and use stress coat too.

I never understood why this product was sold if it was a "fish killer".

Anyway, now I want to change my name to "masterbettakeeper007"
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #7 
Polkadot

I'm glad it's always worked well with your fishies.Who knows,perhaps it would have been perfectly ok with my little one too,but the reviews/comments regarding the labyrinth organ really scared me & I couldn't take the chance with my little boy.So until there can be a definite answer I will stick with API Stress Coat for their fins,the aloe is very gentle.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #8 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I have used bettafix with no problems and with success. I would use it over AQ salt any day. I never had it coat the water or deco. On the other hand, stress coat DOES create a thick coating of gunk over everything! But I love and use stress coat too.

I never understood why this product was sold if it was a "fish killer".

Anyway, now I want to change my name to "masterbettakeeper007"
I agree about it vs AQ salt, bettafix I can use in their tnak with plants and inverts and not have a worry about killing any of them salt would kill both plants and inverts....
Old 07-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #9 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot View Post
I'm glad it's always worked well with your fishies.Who knows,perhaps it would have been perfectly ok with my little one too,but the reviews/comments regarding the labyrinth organ really scared me & I couldn't take the chance with my little boy.So until there can be a definite answer I will stick with API Stress Coat for their fins,the aloe is very gentle.
This is why I started this subject and said I want REAL facts, like I said in the first post I can argue that AQ salt is bad for bettas, with zero proof, and yes some people would listen to it.I am waiting for the naysayers to post up facts, so far its been 3 of us who use it with success but on our parts it is anecdotal, but if bettafix is such a killer in the 50 or so times I have used it I would think at least one would have died, I started using it after using AQ salt and having deaths, 2 to be precise, so I looked into and thats when I found out with bettas that some species are not so salt tolerant, and I had killed them by going to strong with the mixture too quickly, plus the headache of a hospital tank and heating it and so on much easier to does with betta/melafix and pimafix
Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #10 
sainthogan

I emailed the company a while back (unfortunately, I've been searching for the post I did on this, and the email, but can't find either - if I find them, I'll post them) and basically they said that deaths occur because of overdosing or using the product for something it's not intended for i.e. treating swim bladder with one of their products designed for fin rot.
Like I said before, I can't find my post on this or the email, but as soon as I do, I will put it here.
I do know from personal experience how tea tree oil burns my own skin, and that is why I personally don't think it's good for fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote