Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

the tank-size disagreement

Has anyone else noticed there are a lot more people here lately saying that 2.5 gallons is barely big enough for one betta, and I've also seen someone say that 5 gallons is the minimum for one. I hadn't been here in a few months, and then when I came back I was really surprised to see people suggesting that bettas be in at least a 5 gallon tank. Previously I only saw that from the rude people on Yahoo Answers who yell at everyone who keeps their betta in anything smaller than a 5 gallon. I know 1 gallon is debatable, or it used to be here anyway, but now it seems like more people are saying that 2.5 gallons is too small. Personally, I think 2.5 gallons is fine for a betta. One gallon can be okay for small females, too, but personally I do feel a little bad keeping a betta in 1 gallon for too long. I did have a male betta in a 2 gallon rectangular tank once before I got a 10 gallon and divided it for 3 bettas, and he was totally fine and active.
Has anyone else noticed it and think it's a little extreme to say that 5 gallons is the minimum? It's great to give your bettas more room. I'm all for it. But when someone doesn't have a lot of room for a big tank, there's nothing wrong with 2.5 gallons.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I personally think 1G should be the minimum. As long as the betta still has room to swim after the decorations, heater, and possibly a filter are added; I think the tank will be a suitable home. Bigger tanks are just easier to take care of. And having a 1G or a 2.5G is not any different for care. Just the space.

And, I was one of those people who said 2.5G are barely enough. I was having a bad day at the dentist, my apologies. :L
LebronTheBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I think so as well.

While 5 gallons is totally nice and if you can get one for your little one, then good for you! (not talking to you, just in general lol) but I believe that if a tank is kept up on water changes then a Betta can live perfectly fine in a 2.5 and have plenty of room to swim around in! 1 gallon is still debated I think, but again, if properly maintained then there is no problem or at least shouldn't be a problem.

My personal minimum was at 3 gallons but now I've got a Betta in a 2.5 and he's loving it! He's got plants and all in there and plenty of places to hide and will have more once his rot is completely gone. I think 2.5 and up is really the 'best' sorts of tanks for when it comes to showing Betta's true colors. I mean, just like you wouldn't want to be cramped up in a classroom all day, Betta's don't want to be cramped either but who are we to judge what mean's to be cramped to them? We can't so all we can do is just give the best care.

But yeah, that's my take on it at least. I feel it's more personal preferences and if you can keep up on it, good on ya! But I also think that people need to take a chill pill sometimes lol like that person on yahoo, I've seen them too.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

This debate happens at least once a month. I was one of those "IT MUST NOT BE LESS THAN 5g" people, but hey I lived & learned. My personal opinion is . . . less than 2.5g is too small but that's my personal opinion, people can either agree or disagree. I just know from watching my Bettas of varying sizes, sexes & finnage that anything less than a 2.5g IMO is too small for a permanent home. I will add tanks not well cared for regardless of size are bad.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
And, I was one of those people who said 2.5G are barely enough. I was having a bad day at the dentist, my apologies. :L
Sorry, Lebron,
I didn't realize that was you.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Nah, it's quite alright. (: Besides, it was me who had the bad day.

The size of the tank always matters on the betta.

i.e. Some tail biters think 10G has too much open space so they bite their fins. The owner moves the betta into a 2G and voila, no more biting.
LebronTheBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #7 
RobertTheFish

My feeling is this:
I'm not going to cycle and filter a 1 gallon tank, seems like too much hassle.

Everyone gets lazy, and sooner or later you will miss a WC.

Move everybody to a 2.5 gal and cycle it and heat it. That way when, not if, you miss a WC, it won't be the biggest deal in the world.

Just my feelings on it, I'm not proclaiming the Gospel here.
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #8 
GinjaHaZ

I think a minimum of 1gal is fine. Especially if you're just going to keep one betta. I have a 3gal tank and no room for a bigger one at the moment. Plus, I don't have to want to take care of something that's not a betta. But anyway, it really is just a person opinion and preference. Like a trail and error kind of thing.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #9 
pittipuppylove

I guess I'm on the fence on this issue... My first suggestion to people who are just getting into bettas is a 5 gallon, not only because it gives the fish more room, but also because it's easier to cycle, heat, and maintain (That and it's far more fun to decorate a larger tank, which is part of the fun!). However, I think it is acceptable, and sometimes necessary, to keep a single betta in a smaller tank given that the tank is maintained properly. I had a male EEHM with insanely heavy fins who was just not able to handle a tank larger than a standard 2.5 gallon glass tank because his fins would split from the effort of swimming around the tank, whether the tank had lots of resting places or not. Within days of being in a heavily planted 5 gallon his tail was in shreds and he was visibly exhausted from patrolling his "large" territory, but as soon as he was placed into an equally heavily planted 2 gallon his tail began to beautifully and he didn't appear as tired. It depends on the individual fish and how much time and space the owner has to do water changes and other activities.

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 07-17-2013 at 04:02 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #10 
Bailmint

1g tanks are fine, they are bigger than cups and the right owner can keep them healthy and happy if its cleaned every other day (every day might stress too much) 100% with conditioner, and feed him/her well and a little hiding place, it won't matter, especially compared to cups.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank size