I've got to say I love this thread lol.
I know I am one of many who were telling all that AQ salt is the way to go! Yay follow me! woohoo! <---that was stupid. I realized after a while what AQ salt actually does so I've been trying to avoid suggesting that. So that's that lol.
A while back one of my boy's; Mercury, had been sick with Ich and possibly some secondary infection, I used one drop of MelaFix and one drop of PimaFix and he went into gasping and looked horribly pale. I realized that was a stupid mistake to use both and after I got him into clean water he was fine and I told myself I'd never use that stuff again. Well a situation of a fungus came around and all I had on me was PimaFix so I decided, what the heck, why not! And I've been using PimaFix and MelaFix both successfully in my tanks when needed. I realized that Mercury was almost to the point of gone, hence his bad reaction and of course me being a newb; combined the two making it even harder on him. So that was my fault and yes, like other's I blamed it on the medication itself when it was I who did the wrong thing without thinking. So I can see where people would freak out, but if they just asked around the internet on a more reliable place than yahoo!answers, they'd find that you can use the meds just fine.
Of course I also think it still depends on the fish and how it will react but that goes for ALL medications, not just BettaFix/MelaFix/PimaFix.
So yeah...just felt the need to share my story XD
jaysee, what Betta are you doing the experiment on? I think I missed that part. Quite interested in seeing the outcomes at least!