Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #91 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I've got to say I love this thread lol.

I know I am one of many who were telling all that AQ salt is the way to go! Yay follow me! woohoo! <---that was stupid. I realized after a while what AQ salt actually does so I've been trying to avoid suggesting that. So that's that lol.

A while back one of my boy's; Mercury, had been sick with Ich and possibly some secondary infection, I used one drop of MelaFix and one drop of PimaFix and he went into gasping and looked horribly pale. I realized that was a stupid mistake to use both and after I got him into clean water he was fine and I told myself I'd never use that stuff again. Well a situation of a fungus came around and all I had on me was PimaFix so I decided, what the heck, why not! And I've been using PimaFix and MelaFix both successfully in my tanks when needed. I realized that Mercury was almost to the point of gone, hence his bad reaction and of course me being a newb; combined the two making it even harder on him. So that was my fault and yes, like other's I blamed it on the medication itself when it was I who did the wrong thing without thinking. So I can see where people would freak out, but if they just asked around the internet on a more reliable place than yahoo!answers, they'd find that you can use the meds just fine.

Of course I also think it still depends on the fish and how it will react but that goes for ALL medications, not just BettaFix/MelaFix/PimaFix.

So yeah...just felt the need to share my story XD

jaysee, what Betta are you doing the experiment on? I think I missed that part. Quite interested in seeing the outcomes at least!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #92 
jaysee
Reference Team

I know many people like to use salt - but I am not among them
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #93 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I used to until I realized it can cause Dropsy so easily. I'll still use Epsom salt as it's less harsh of course there's still a chance that it can dehydrate the fish but that's a little easier to deal with than Dropsy. It depends on the circumstances as well, as do all medications
Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #94 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quadruple doses of melafix in the 2.5 gallon are going as expected - just fine.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #95 
Stone

I will use salt but it's after betta/melafix has had it's shot and I start out slowly and increase the dose to normal, like I stated bettas are not so salt tolerant as some believe, some species of bettas are some aren't, and depending on your specific fish's genetics you have no clue which it is, so it's best to start put slow and work your way up with salt
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #96 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Some betta species need salt to live comfortably, actually.

Salt is fine when its used properly... I've rescued a fish with nothing but a stub for a tail 'cuz it rotted off (useless petsmart employees) and salt fixed him up in three days. Normally for fin rot all you need is clean water, but when it's that close to the body it's best not to risk it.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #97 
jaysee
Reference Team

7 day treatment with quadruple doses of melafix complete. The betta is just fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #98 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Now what about PimaFix? I seem to have more issues when I use that than when I use MelaFix.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #99 
jaysee
Reference Team

I don't see a need to continue overdosing with Melafix - can't imagine how anyone could do more than quadruple dose.

Ill do a round of double and quadruple doses with pimafix next. Next week.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #100 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okidokey!

When I use PimaFix, some are fine but other's tend to do more gasping and heavy breathing with it. Just my observations.