Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #21 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
I just gave a tiny bit. Wasn't sure what he had but when I told petco person how my other bettas looked he said he thought it was finrot so he told me to use the fix.

But I also know Ollie was old. I still really miss him and feel awful about his dying and death. He seemed to be suffering. I just wanted to make him feel better not kill him.

Just wanna know this wasn't my fault! I LOVED HIM SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
None of us, well I hope none of us on this site want to kill our fish or even feel like we have killed them, I know with a few of my fish I made wrong choices in meds and have overdosed a fish at least once, stuff like this happens none of us are perfect. What counts is we were trying to help them and we did take good care of them and loved them, I have a few I lost years ago due to old age and mishaps and I miss them till this day
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #22 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I have used Bettafix in the past on a female wild betta when she jumped out and did some severe damage to her slime coat and fins. I did not see any adverse effects from it. However, I also did not notice any definite improvement either.

I have had a betta in a tank where I have used actual melaleuca roots and also never saw any ill-effects from oils that might have leeched out.

I often think fish with serious ailments are treated with these products and when they die, the blame lies with the medication itself rather than with the fact the fish was most like dying before treatment even commenced.

The aversion to Bettafix is something I really haven't noticed all that much in Australia. A lot of breeders, hobbyists and importers use it here, and it wasn't until I became a member of a US based site that I read about its potentially negative side effects.
Yes I have noticed this seems to be a usa and canada thing I know soem breeders in germany and it was news to them when they heard about it, I think a lot of the fear and concern comes from the fact API went with TTO (tea tree oil) instead of melaleuca tree oil which has had by far tons more research people tend to fear the unknown and here in the states rumors can become fact in the blink of an eye
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #23 
Ezzie

I am still debating wether or not to buy one of the "fix" ranges.
Living in Australia does have some major setbacks such as a HUGE lack of fish medicines/ antibiotics etc etc etc and as a result i can ONLY find the "fix" ranges locally available unless i want to spend a fortune for a tiny bottle imported from America- it just isnt worth it imo.

I was contemplating using one of the fix ranges on Milton, who after 2 weeks of having 100% water changes every 1-2 days and a 10 day course of AQ salts isnt showing ANY signs of regrowth or it getting better, i was going to step it up into medications as a last resort.

If people have used this for ripped fins / possible rot, which one of this range would you use, and HOW MUCH would you use on a 2.5 gallon tank?
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #24 
Polkadot

^

Pretty much every type of product is available here in Australia,my local petstore alone has a huge range.To answer your question I would recommend API Stress Coat,it is a great product & contains aloe which is very gentle for bettas little fins.I have always found it to be wonderful for treating frayed fins.seachem Prime water conditioner is very good also.I have never used AQ salt before so cannot offer any advice on that,but the 2 products mentioned are terrific,don't cost much and they really work & are safe.You only need a small amount and the dosage is written on the bottles of both.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #25 
Ezzie

I use both each water change and have been using a little extra to help and nothing. Hence why I went with salts (still using both stress coat and prime) and still no improvement.

Might be my local area that doesn't seem to have a big range (and if they do have a specific product it's a little unknown brand that's proberly some cheap import from china) I prefer to use products that I have read about, not something totally unknown.

This is why I wanted to try something a little stronger to get his fins back looking amazing because what I'm doing isn't working to my eyes.
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #26 
Polkadot

Oh that's a shame.Maybe he just needs a little more time,some take alot longer than others.If he is ok otherwise,they will grow back in time.Clean warm water is the very best thing of all.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #27 
registereduser

Everything said and done, my personal opinion is that Indian Almond Leaf is the best thing for bettas suffering from anything under the sun. It's really too bad that they aren't more readily available in stores.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #28 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I agree... Ial is nice and has lots of benefits, the safest med out there too. No matter what a betta has I would add it to the water along with regular treatment... Don't try to treat septicemia with ial alone lol.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #29 
NeptunesMom

I always say, "may coat the labyrinth organ". I have seen fish with simple cases of fin rot die at my store after the use of bettafix. Now, to be fair, I did not dose it. I can't prove it was the betta fix (or even if it was used properly), but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry. Especially, when I have stockpiled almost all useful antibiotics.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #30 
TGIF

I will not ever use bettafix again. It did nothing for my fish, and made him worse. You are supposed to apparently not change the water for a long period of time (I think it was 10 days or until "treated" - to me, otherwise known as dead) and the water started getting nasty after 2/3 days. Waste of money and a waste of time... :(
TGIF is offline   Reply With Quote