Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #31 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIF View Post
I will not ever use bettafix again. It did nothing for my fish, and made him worse. You are supposed to apparently not change the water for a long period of time (I think it was 10 days or until "treated" - to me, otherwise known as dead) and the water started getting nasty after 2/3 days. Waste of money and a waste of time... :(
hmmm, I changed the water every day and added new drops each time. I didn't use bettafix for more than a few days in a row, either.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #32 
sassyfriend

What is stress coat medichine?
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #33 
cowboy

Stress coat is a water conditioner that has aloe Vera in it. It's made by API
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #34 
Stone

bettafix is melafix but it has been watered down, they did this for bettas because they are in smaller tanks, it is supposed to help with the not overdosing thing, even with that I do not know how a pet store will get the right dose for a betta cup and would imagine overdosing would happen a lot if someone was even the slightest bit careless,
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #35 
FishyFishy89

I have personally used Betta-Fix and Mela-Fix. Each time using the recommended dosage and each time have killed my fish. They all suffered from minor issues like fungus and they're symptoms after treatment with these meds were like they were being suffocated.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #36 
sassyfriend

I understand how that feels. I know I did the best I could and so did you but it doesn't make the grief any less painful.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #37 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I have personally used Betta-Fix and Mela-Fix. Each time using the recommended dosage and each time have killed my fish. They all suffered from minor issues like fungus and they're symptoms after treatment with these meds were like they were being suffocated.
How do you know it was fungus and not columnaris? those are 2 very different things and they look very much alike, and again I have used AQ salt on bettas and they died so the AQ salt killed them is what you are saying. It wasn't any other factor I wasn't using it to treat the fish for something it would not work on.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #38 
karenluvsbettas623

I had bought melafix for fin-rot but didn't use it because of what I read online. I then found out that they also had bettafix, and that it was a diluted version of melafix specifically for bettas. My question is, If I would have kept using melafix, would the dosage have been too high for my betta? there is no disclaimer on the melafix bottle suggesting that it is harmful to bettas or other fish with lybrinth organs and how are we supposed to know. I feel like I would rather not risk it especially since there are so many other alternatives for fin-rot. I use stress coat as my conditioner, even with no illness.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #39 
Stone

the "working does" of betta fix and melafix are exactly the same, bettafix is just watered down to make it easier to dose some of them horrible sized betta bowls that are 1/2 a gal and smaller, but in the end the dose is exactly the same you would just use way less melafix
Old 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #40 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
How do you know it was fungus and not columnaris? those are 2 very different things and they look very much alike, and again I have used AQ salt on bettas and they died so the AQ salt killed them is what you are saying. It wasn't any other factor I wasn't using it to treat the fish for something it would not work on.
Because I am experienced in fish keeping and columnaris doesnt suffocate fish nor does it suddenly strike the second medication is added to the water.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote