Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #61 
Ezzie

I did a little more dose then usual this water change, 1/2 teaspoon instead of 1/4. I'm starting to lose hope that his tail will ever grow back to what it was

This marks half way with the treatment. 5 of 10 days.
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #62 
sassyfriend

Hope he'll still be ok for you. Sorry for making you mad.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #63 
jaysee
Reference Team

I have to agree, that people attribute the death of their fish to one thing or another when there is really no evidence other than timing and convenience to support it. There are just soooooo many reasons a fish can die that are unbeknownst to us because we do not perform autopsies on our fish. Unless there's some direct visible evidence, like fungus or columnaris or the fish jumped out of the tank, we really are just guessing when we say such and such killed my fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I know how bad this sounds and there is little chance I will ever do it, I'm not suggesting it either, but I would be interested in an experiment that has fish in full doses and double (improper) doses of Pima,mela, and betta fix too see how they fare. That would put this to rest once and for all.
Ask and you shall receive. double dose of melafix added to a 2.5 gallon.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Last edited by jaysee; 07-30-2013 at 01:42 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #64 
sassyfriend

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is scary!!!! But I would like it put to rest once and for all as well Good luck and hope they all come through unscathed!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #65 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is scary!!!! But I would like it put to rest once and for all as well Good luck and hope they all come through unscathed!!!!!!
If the double doses kill it, then obviously there is some validity to the concerns.

I don't remember who mentioned the idea about warnings, but many meds have warnings on them about their use. Most common example - scaleless fish. API puts such warnings on other meds, so it would stand to reason that they would for these products too. If it were needed.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #66 
Ezzie

Sorry to disappoint some here but Milton is 110% perfectly fine this morning after a 1/2 teaspoon of melafix.
He doesn't seem to be affected in the slightest, no rapid gill movements, no erratic swimming, no gasping at the surface. He ate his breakfast like a champ
Today will actually be his last day with melafix since I only started using this to try to give his fins a healing boost. It will take a good long time for them to fully heal and melafix isn't really needed unless he develops fin rot or other conditions, I he did have rot or other issues I'm confident that its gone now :)

Since I have used this for 5 days, Milton isn't dead or damaged from the medications so I am going with 'its safe if used controlled and monitored environment' I didn't go adding random amount and guesses, I actually used baking measuring spoons so it was accurate, if I were to use random metal teaspoons or guesses by other means then it would be a different story and maybe this product would be dangerous.
I would also only use this as a last resort kind of situation. After doing salts / stress coat etc and not seeing a change, I stepped it up to melafix since I struggle to find medications in my area (and not having an endless supply of money to order from overseas)

So in the end Milton was perfectly fine, melafix didn't kill him or even damage him however I would reccomend using caution if for any reason anyone else has to use it.
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #67 
jaysee
Reference Team

I don't think that anyone is disappointed that your fish is still alive.

Show tanks 125, 125, 90, 10, 5, 2.5
QTs 2x29, 2x20
Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #68 
xShainax

None of my fish had issues that needed betta-fix so I really can't tell anyone if it's good or not
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #69 
jaysee
Reference Team

Second double dose of melafix added.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #70 
Stone

Ok I have not been posting because the treatments are going as planned and nothing to report other than no secondary infections from the girls torn fins, but the one removed from the tank did develop columnaris and even with the PP baths, it was not enough to save her, she used to be the tank boss and was the most beat up and stressed, so even with prompt treatment of her secondary infection it was not enough, I really don't get why she died I have had fish way worse off bounce back but not this time
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote