Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #81 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Resa's betta could have easily died from internal injuries. I had a male who got attacked by some females and he passed away even though the external injuries while bad were not life threatening.

This Melafix/Bettafix drama reminds me of the various 'urban legends' you see floating around on forums and social media sites. You see it all the time with people reporting anecdotes as if they are proof rather than just one individual's experience.

It could just be some bettas respond more adversely to this product than others. It's why there are warning labels on medications about possible side effects. It doesn't mean everyone will get them, just a select few.
I agree, it seems odd that someone who's fish got beaten up in a fight would blame the death on something other than the fish getting beaten up in a fight.... it is entirely likely that the fish would have died at the exact same time, without the dosage.

One of my favorite urban legends was the idea that bettas can't be kept with sand. One persons betta supposedly eats some sand and dies, and that particular experience gets passed off as a legitimate warning and so no one should keep their betta with sand.... I can guarantee that that person did not open up the fish to see that it was in fact sand that was blocking something somewhere. So, they just jump to a conclusion based on purely circumstantial evidence.

Ahhh, but there is no such warning on melafix There are warnings on EVERYTHING nowadays, so that's gotta make you wonder....
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #82 
LittleBettaFish

I have never heard the sand one before. Haha guess all my previous bettas on sand must have keeled over from impaction.

I think with fish the difficulty would be that most people don't actually get a diagnosis from a professional prior to treating their fish. Therefore, there is just as much chance (if not more so in my opinion) that the fish died from misdiagnosis/disease rather than a medication such as Melafix.

If you actually look into it, a lot of commonly used medications that people have no problem with prescribing on this forum (fish ones) can have quite serious side effects if used improperly or for the wrong purpose. Yet it seems to be this particular medication that is targeted.

I think our main importer of top quality bettas into Australia uses Melafix. I would assume that she would have mentioned something if it had an effect on the 100s (if not 1000s) of bettas and other labyrinth fish that pass through her doors.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #83 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I have never heard the sand one before. Haha guess all my previous bettas on sand must have keeled over from impaction.
Obviously so
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #84 
Stone

A lot of the fungus types of diseases can easily be mistaken for columnaris, some one even in this thread tried to claim that columnaris would not cause rapid breathing in a fish, I had to point out it will if it gets in the gills, I think melafix just get blamed because peoples lack of experience in giving conditions a proper ID I have been keep various kinds of fish for 20 years and I have seen most of them several times, if you keep fish they ARE going to get sick at some point, I can pretty much say if you keep fish you will deal with every fish disease at one point in time,in high stress tanks like cichlid, and betta sorority tanks you WILL have to deal with columnaris. People on this site promotes the use of AQ salt for everything, it is not a cure all and I am sure many fish die from AQ salt and I don't see people running around blaming it.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #85 
sassyfriend

What if the sickness looks like one thing and then it turns out to be something else. I don't know much about fish so this concerns me greatly.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #86 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
What if the sickness looks like one thing and then it turns out to be something else. I don't know much about fish so this concerns me greatly.
The only thing you can do is take good pics and post them and hope others get it right, or do a broad spectrum treatment that covers most things, or gain enough experience so you can tell what it most likely is.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #87 
sassyfriend

How do I gain experience?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #88 
Stone

Just by keeping fish, fish will get sick and you will learn what it is
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #89 
sassyfriend

Ok
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #90 
jaysee
Reference Team

Round two of Melafix tests. 5 mL added to the 2.5 gallon tank. That's a quadruple dose.