Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #1 
bettalover7

Please help!

Hello everyone,

I adopted my betta in January and instantly fell in love. I did my research first and bought him a decent sized tank and took very good care of him. He has shown no signs of illness or disease until now.

Back Story:

I moved by fish on a 4 1/2 hour trip to a new city a week ago. He seemed fine for the first 2 days but has since been acting ill. I assume he has SBD because he is quite bloated and will not eat. I tried to feed him a pea and he did eat some but it has not helped.

I have been performing routine 30% water changes to ensure that his water is not too filthy. I also picked up a new heater today when I discovered that his other one had died and his tank water had become quite cold.

He has spent the past few days floating at the top of his tank. He is bloated and his fins are clamped and he will not eat. He is barely active.

Is it too late for him? Is there anything else that I can do or should I just let him die in peace? I love this fish so much and would prefer to keep him alive but I'm at a loss for what to do at this point.

Thanks
bettalover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

We'd love to help you but will need additional information to make sure we advise correctly:
Tank size?
Filtered?
Water temp?
Tank mates?
Water test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?
Water change schedule & how much is changed?
What brand of water conditioner do you use?
Brand & type of food fed; how much & how often?
How long has it been since he's eaten?
Can you post a pic?

SBD or bloat is usually treated with first fasting for 2-3 days & if that doesn't work pure Epsom salts can be used. I suspect that with moving the tank, if its filtered, you may be experiencing a fish IN cycle so the water changes you are doing may not be enough but without the questions above answered I can't say for certain.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #3 
bettalover7

Tank size? 2.5 gallon
Filtered? Yes
Water temp? It was sitting a 72 two days ago because his heater had died. I picked up a new one but it appears not to be working correctly either. The water temp is at 74 now.
Tank mates? None
Water test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? I haven't tested. I do know that it is cycling and have been performing small water changes daily.
Water change schedule & how much is changed? Before I moved, I didn't clean it out very often because it had cycled and was clear and he was content. Since moving it has been cloudy and I've had to perform routine water changes.
What brand of water conditioner do you use? http://www.petvalu.com/in-our-store/...er-conditioner
Brand & type of food fed; how much & how often? http://www.petvalu.com/in-our-store/...ium-betta-food I have been fasting him for the past few days and have only given him a piece of a pea. Before then, I would feed him 3 daily.
How long has it been since he's eaten? 2 days, minus a piece of a pea.
Can you post a pic? I could post one later.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #4 
bettalover7

Unfortunately my betta passed away around an hour or two ago. I had a feeling it was going to happen, just wish I could have done more to help the little guy. We were only together for 6-7 months but I loved him just the same.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote