Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #1 
Ralphie

Fluval Spec V Aquarium

I bought a Fluval Spec V Aquarium to house a betta and I'm puzzled by the location of the output nozzle.

I started setting up aquariums 40 years ago when you put the angel hair and charcoal in a plastic housing, stuck an air tube in it and placed it firmly in the corner of your tank. Later I "upgraded" to a foam filter and loved that simplicity.

But this Fluval Spec V has the water reaching the filter from the TOP of the aquarium, basically skimming the water surface, then shooting the water back out through a nozzle at the TOP of the tank.

Now, I have great respect for the legendary Fluval company. Back in the day, they were a German manufacturing company making the finest outside filters you could buy. I eventually bought a system for a 55 gal. aquarium and loved the industrial design of the filter. But, I can't see how this Fluval Spec V setup is going to keep my aquarium water filtered efficiently. And here's my question: for those of you who have this set-up, where do you point the nozzle for the best results?

Rick and Ralphie (the beta)
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #2 
ModFish

Look on YouTube but there is also a great Fluval thread here that has some great tips and mods.
ModFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, I point mine against the glass. :p I never worried too much about the flow, it seems fine to me.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #4 
Ralphie

Modfish,
thanks for the tip; I never thought about Youtube.

Olympia,
I currently have mine pointed to the glass and up to break the surface tension.
BTW, how often do you rinse out your filter sponge?
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I've only had the tank for two weeks so I haven't yet. :O The filter compartment is so tiny and annoying, I probably won't clean it very often. :p
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, filtration, fluval spec v