Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #1 
usmckang

Regarding my Betta

Alright, I have a few questions because my Betta fish is just resting at the bottom of my tank with no symptoms on his body from what I can tell other then a white-ish face but this is kind of how he looked when I first got him.

Anyways, I have a 10 gallon, heated, filtered tank with several plants.. I don't know what it is, but my betta, literally overnight, developed some irregular behavior.. I found him in the morning just hanging out at the bottom breathing heavily.. from what I can tell his face is a little bit more white but it is not cotton-ey or anything. The majority of his body now has turned a white-ish hue and his behavior is just a little off. For now I put him in a filtered/heated 1.5 QT tank t'll I figure out what's wrong with him.

Just a little info on the tank.. I honestly think it's overstocked or damn near it's capacity..

I've got 2 Zebra Danios, 4 Neon Tetras, 3 Otos, 2 Platies, 2 African Dwarf Frogs and 2 Ghost shrimp along with my male Betta.. No other fish is sick nor are any showing irregular behavior. Just be my Betta fish.

For the past ~2 weeks everyone's been getting along well but out of nowhere my Betta fish has gotten sick.. What do I do? what's it sound like.. After a while I've figured it out to be 'columaris' but reading more indepth about the symptoms it says the mouth is suppose to be cotton-ey but my Betta is just white, no cotton looking film anywhere on him..Please help, I'd love to save my Betta..
usmckang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #2 
usmckang

Oh, maybe I might've figured it out.. I had a HUGE ghost shrimp ( about 1.5 inches ) and last night it was killed in my 10 gallon... most likely by my betta.. maybe that's why? Either way please let me know.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #3 
6BettaMom

Have you tested your ammonia and nitrites?
6BettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #5 
usmckang

It's been up for about 2.5 months.. It's cycled and everything ammonia/trate/trites are 0ppm

I do 15% weekly water changes with a gravel siphon and every other fish in the tank is doing fine except my Betta.

My Betta is probably the most hardy fish in the tank.. everything else is pretty delicate to water quality so I'm pretty sure the problem doesn't exist there.

Either way I got Rid-Fungus and some Aquarium Salt and am treating my Betta in my 1.5 gallon quarantine tank so we'll see how things turn out
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #6 
IonBaller07

Mine was acting the same way and I was told it is possibly SBD. Which basically means hes consttipated.Try feeding him a bit less and maybe fast him for a day.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #7 
Chicklet

Quote:
It's been up for about 2.5 months.. It's cycled and everything ammonia/trate/trites are 0ppm
Wait a min 0 nitrates? you gotta have nitrates if that tanks cycled.

something wrong if you got 0

sounds like my water straight from the tap.

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-12-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #8 
usmckang

Well Trates aren't at 0, but the last time I got the water tested Ammonia/Trites were at 0 and Trates were hovering around ~10ppm.. but my Betta def isn't hurting from the water.. Like I said the other fish in the tank would be hurting from water conditions far before the Betta does IMO.. like my Neon's or Oto's..
Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #9 
usmckang

My betta just threw up a piece of a Shrimp Tail or looks like it.. Maybe that's why? Like I said this guy ate a HUGE Ghost Shrimp.. this Ghost shrimp was literally bigger then my Neon's
Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #10 
usmckang

My Betta is now happy.. After about 30 hours of medication in the QT tank he started a bubble nest in it.. I was a bit reluctant to take him out of it but I did and put him back in the 10 gal with everyone else and he looks happier; he's now exploring the 10 gal like it's a new enviornment and flares at his reflection from time to time. Hopefully, he'll be happy enough in the 10 gal to build a bubble nest in it as well. Took the remaining ghost shrimp and put the shrimp in the QT tank and going to keep him in there from now. maybe going to plant the heck out of the 1.5g when funds are more steady~ Thanks everyone