Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #1 
Tabby216

Brown Algae

This algae has been in my tank for about 2 months now. It is all over the glass and the plants look like they have brown dots all over them. The substrate is also covered with the brown algae. Easy to remove but comes back every few days.

I have hygrophilia corymbosa and anacharis growing rapidly in the tank with a moss ball and a few bacopa carolina which is growing very poor compared to the first two.

I know I have to continue cleaning it off but how long will it last? I also accidentally overdosed on fertilizer 15 drops instead of 10 drops of flourish comprehensive in the 5 gallon.

Kind of scared if it continues being in there it might introduce other algae types :/
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

Is this aquarium cycled?
Diatoms, like all algae plagues, are invariably caused and sustained by excess nutrients in the water column, silica is the most important of these in the case of diatoms. However, removing silica, which can cost serious $$$, is not necessarily the best method for tackling diatom infestations.
IME, is to simply waiting them out. It will go away in time unless you live in an area where the tap water is high in dissolved Silica then you may need to look for another water source

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #3 
Tabby216

It is cycled and I can't tell if silica is the issue
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote