Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #1 
Lil Betta

At a loss

I have had my betta since October. I originally had him in a 2 gallon aquarium with an oxygenator. Over the last couple of months I have noticed he has the cottony patches around his face and now its starting on his body. I took him to a fish store and was told he had a fungus. I purchased Bettafix and at the same time, bought another aquarium.
It is 2.5 gallons with a filter. I have treated the water, washed all of the doo-dads and the gravel and still, it seems he is getting worse. He is in good spirits, swimming around and being his usual curious self. He is eating normal as well.
Today, I put him in a vase with treated water. I am going to clean the aquarium again.
I donít know what else to do. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get rid of this fungus? I have had bettas before in regular fish bowls and never had this problem.....I am at a loss!
Lil Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Try some Jungle Fungus Clear or Jungle Fungus Eliminator.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #3 
MrDarcy

Mardel's Maracyn worked for me. Didn't work as quickly as I would like, but my betta's all better. Comes with a LOT too, (mine came with 8 packets meant for ten gallon tanks, just measure how much you put in if it's smaller than 10 gallons), plus is good for fin rot and popeye.
MrDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

For 1 gallon tanks, dissolve one tablet of Maracyn in 10 teaspoons of water.Add one teaspoon of concentrate per gallon.Add one teaspoon daily of concentrate mixture.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #5 
Nataku

Bettafix is not really all that useful for actually treating anything, despite what its packaging claims. Jungle Fungus Elliminator is my personal choice in dealing with fungal infections, along with aquarium salt, as many fungi are apparently not at all fond of salt, in my experience at least it tends to knock the fungus back down pretty quick when in conjunction with the Jungle stuff, and works as a great preventative in the future. I use aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just looked on my bottle of Fungus Eliminator and it already has salt in it so I don't know if its necessary to add aquarium salt or not. The Fungus Clear does not have sdalt.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #7 
Nataku

The first time I had a fish with a fungal infection I tried just the Jungle Fungus Eliminator by itself, and it took nearly two weeks to be fully rid of it all (as opposed to my attempts at using Bettafix on another fish which never improved the fish's condition after four weeks and I threw the bottle out). I tried Jungle Fungus Eliminator again with aquarium salt on a betta, and the fungus was gone in a week. Not sure if it's because they were different fish (still same species though) or not, but I'll use the combo of Jungle and Salt anytime I catch a fish with fungus now, which thankfully I have not.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #8 
Lil Betta

Hey, I really appreciate your advice. I will try the Mardel's Maracyn due to the fact that I can buy locally. I'll pick up some aquarium salt while I am at it.
I am hoping he will be OK. I really love this little fish. He has such personality!
Thanks again! This is a great forum!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope the Maracyn and salt help him and he gets better soon. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #10 
Lil Betta

Well, my lil Betta is back in his aquarium. I think he is stressed to the max and mad at me....and he really hasn't eaten much either.... But, thankfully, he is swimming around and has good color except for his places on his lil face.........

I changed the water and added the Mardel's and the salt. I wanted to know how often to add the salt? And, do I continue to add the tablets and the salt for now on?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

I