Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #1 
rockstar26

aqua culture brand 5 gallon fish tank

alright, so i am spoiling the heck out of my boy... i just ran to wally world and purchased a 5 gallon tank for him instead of the 1.5 gallon that i just put him in yesterday!!

My question though, the filter is an AQUA-Tech 5-15 Power Filter... I'm wondering if the flow from the filter will be to strong and hurt the fish?
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #2 
onekatietwo

No way!

Whoa. I JUST bought and set the SAME THING up. Like... an hour ago. I asked that same question in a thread below. It does seem a little intense. I'm going to dump my fish in there and see how he does and if its obviously too much I'll just... go with out for a while and then get a new one when I can.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #3 
rockstar26

ha i just bought mine about an hour ago too LOL... i haven't set it up yet though..... i may do so in a lil bit :)
Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #4 
onekatietwo

Quick tip.

Careful when you "pop out" the piece where the filter is supposed to go. Because they use the same hood for different models or whatever, if you got the smallest model of filter like I did, if you pop the WHOLE thing out it will be slightly too large for the filter. You can see there are kind of two spereate pieces to pop out. Just pop out the larger one and leave the smaller one.

Not that it's a big deal, just a small hole in your hood. You might have a larger filter anyway. But, yeah. Start with just one pop out piece and leave the other in unless your filter doesn't fit.

:)
Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas don't HAVE to have a filter should you decide not to use it. Filters just help keep the water cleaner.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #6 
rockstar26

are you already putting yours together? i'm going to get off my butt and put mine together in a few minutes!! i'm excited to decorate the tank LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #7 
chippy

I was about to buy the same one from walmart about the same time as you two. I decided to wait until I could research it more before buying that one. Let me know what you two think, I may go buy it tomorrow LOL.
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #8 
rockstar26

i just set mine up, so far so good.... i purchased the heater that is recommended for the tank as well.... now of only i could figure out if the heater is actually working!!! i have a thermometer yet it doesnt seem to me like the temp is getting warmer... who knows maybe im just impatient LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you're supposed to put the heater in, unplugged and let it acclimate for about 15-20 minutes, then plug it in. Maybe you already did that. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #10 
onekatietwo

Oh, ok. I misread. You just got the tank. I got the whole kit. So ignore that part about the hood, haha. As you probably already realized.

And I've still only had it for less than 24 hours, but it's been good. The tank is fine, seemingly (I also read some reviews online before I got it) So you should be great if that's all you're getting.

If you're getting the whole kit, well, all of that seems fine too. Obviously, its not the highest quality in the world, but it all works. The filter does seem to maybe be a LITTLE too strong for a Betta, but tolerable, I think.

I'll keep you posted if anything goes wrong with the whole thing. I can't vouch for the heater that it came with yet as I haven't gotten a thermometer.